Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bolpur (Shanti Niketan)

Sometimes, when there's a lot to say, it's hard to figure out where to begin. The cliche is begin at the beginning. So where's the beginning? I just read the last post and it seems that I haven't written anything for over a month! And it has been a rather unusual and hectic month for me. No wonder I did not get around to writing anything. Anyway, let me briefly fill you in on what's been happening.

Towards the end of June, when I had almost given up all hopes of ever finding a place to rent in Bolpur, I got a call my friend Jayati saying that a friend of a friend was willing to rent out her "outhouse" to a single person. So I lost no time going to Bolpur to check it out. And since I was going to there, I decided to call Sunil, one of Mitali's acquaintances, to find out if he had any news regarding places on rent. Indeed he did have news -- there was an independent house on rent.

Anyway, to shorten the story, let's say, I liked both places but decided to settle for the Sunil option. Firstly, it's an independent house with it's own garden, garage and well (Bolpur suffers from chronic water shortage). Secondly, it is next to the main market and yet very quiet because it's located in a quiet lane parallel to the main road. Thirdly, the house is owned by Sunil's sister and this is a big advantage. They are not going to object to me using it as an office. In fact, Sunil is keen that I start something there. Fourthly, Sunil is right next door and he has been extremely helpful. So all in all, I couldn't have expected a better deal even in my dreams. Honestly.

On the 28th of June I called Sunil and finalized the deal and on the 29th I rushed off to a meeting in Sikkim. It took me practically the whole day to reach Gangtok. The following day I spent driving to Namchi and back to visit a project. When I got back, I was feeling ill and had to skip the wonderful dinner hosted by the MP, who also happens to be a friend. Spent the whole of the next day travelling back to Kolkata. By the time I got back, I was really very sick and was laid up for a whole week with fever.

On the 9th Bhola moves some of my belonging from Roldih to Bolpur and then came to Kolkata and took some more of my stuff from Kolkata to Bolpur on the 10th. I followed by trian. Mitali and Tom and Roisin, the new volunteers, arrived by train the following day. When we reached Bolpur, we discoved that the house was a mess as Sunil had decided to renovate the bathroom! So when the others arrived we had to stay with the neighbours! Anyway, after a very uncomfortable stay (because of mosquitoes and frequent power cuts), we decided to go to Roldih.

It was great being back in Roldih. The place looked a little "neglected" in places and "freshly cleaned" in certain areas. Anyway, it was nice to be back. The trees have really grown taller and some of the children too! The school seems to be functioning smoothly and children are still very disciplined and dedicated. Bhola, Suman, Shanku, Kartik, Raiman and Radha are obviously doing a good job. Kartik is in some ways "running the school". Shanku teaches too. But I suspect it's more to avoid doing any physical work. In fact, Bhola thinks he's down right lazy. However, Shanku is the oldest person there and is quite reliable. Suman, was very, very quiet while I was there. He's quiet to begin with. But even more quiet now. Bhola feels it's because he was in pain. He had hurt himself a few days earlier while playing football with the children. Anyway, the project is doing ok and now that I am in Bolpur, perhaps I'll get to visit more often. However, I am definitely not going to "run" the project or "interfere". I told Bhola that I will be giving "suggestions" and not "intsructions" and that he will be responsible for all that happens on the project.

Tom and Roisin seemed happy to be in Roldih. He wasted no time getting to know the place and were making efforts to get to know the children when I last saw them. I've since heard that they have fitted in very well and are doing a great job of teaching the kids and seem to have grown quite attached to the place! I've spoken to them a few times over the phone. They seemed to be ok. Soon it will be time for them to leave. And right now I am waiting to hear from the three volunteers who are expected to join us in August.

Anyway, after spending two restless nights on bug infested and damp mattresses that were lying in Bhola's room, Mitali and I returned to Bolpur along with Bhola. By this time the bathroom was ready and looked really fabulous. We sorted out the furniture, the various bits and pieces of stuff and generally "settled" down.

Bhola went back to Roldih and Mitali returned to Kolkata. And I continued with the process of "settling down"  for a few more days before taking off for Tripura on the 21st. I got back to Kolkata on the 27th and left for Bolpur the same day with Mitali in tow. She helped me organize my things, make the place respectable and yesterday, on the spur of the moment I decided to come to Kolkata to pick up a few more of my belonging and also reply to mail and write this blog. I still don't have a net connection Bolpur and if I use the data card that I have, it costs me an arm and a leg just to log on! Hence, this trip to Kolkata. If you don't hear from me for the next few days, it's going to be because of no net!

Now that I am almost "settled", I'll now start concentrating on work. I have many ideas floating in my head. It's time to figure out what is practical and what is not. But finding the place has convinced me once again that things happen when they are meant to happen. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try!

No comments: