Saturday, August 14, 2010

Change of Plans

Friday the 13th turned out to be an eneventful and enjoyable day, in fact. Mitali and I chatted in the morning till I dropped her to the station from where she took a train back to Kolkata. I came back and cooked some lunch, watched some  tv and then had a little nap. It had rained a lot and so it was nice and cool and perfect condition for a siesta.

The motorbike mechanic came with the bike late in the evening. Too later for me to take it out for a trial ride. Also, Sunil and Mitali felt that I should first ride the bike in and round Bolpur before taking it out for a long drive. In fact, they insisted that I drop the idea of going to Roldih for Independence Day. There's too much happening in Bolpur on the domestic front -- I need to find someone to help me keep the house clean; my new phones have been disconnected due to non-submission of documents by the vendor and that has to be sorted out. Most importantly, I've been wearing old spectacles and can't see very well. I have ordered new ones and will get them today hopefully. So what was I thinking when I decided to go to Roldih for Independence Day?

Anyway,  I've now decided that I'll go next weekend. By that time I hope I'll have sorted out all "domestic" issues and will be able to stay on the project for a week at least. By which time, I'm sure the volunteers will have formed an opinion about the project and it may be more interesting interacting with them. Hopefully they'll have more questions to ask! One more thing -- my Yoga routine will not be disturbed for at least another week! Maybe  I'll be able to put in an extensive week of yoga at the ashram.

I had a very interesting evening yesterday. Sunil stayed and chatted for a while. Then his daughter came and spent a little time playing computer games. His wife, Abira, who is a research scholar at the Vishwa Bharati University, dropped in for a chat. We discussed what could be done here in Bolpur and came up with some ideas and plans. Now to see if any of them are workable!

I spoke to Bhola this morning. He was quite disappointed that I was not coming. Everyone was expecting me for Independence Day and so I am feeling a bit guilty about not going. But I think it makes a lot of practical sense to go next weekend. Hence, I'm trying to live with the guilt.

No comments: