Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vande Mataram -- Jai Bharat, Jai Jagat

So we celebrate one more Independence Day. I believe it was a grand celebration at the project. Bhola called to tell me that there were many, many, many people who attended the flag hoisting ceremony at the project. The parents of the children came. The villagers came. Some passersby too.

Was it because I wasn't there? I think so. Because had I been there, they wouldn't have hired drummers and musicians for the occasion! When Bhola heard that I wasn't coming, he decided to hire a "music party" to celebrate the occasion. And that was the crowd puller. I think he was right to organize things to make it more lively for the children as well as the villagers. I may or may not have objected to the "musicians". But since I will be paying the piper, I think I have a right to know that they are playing! I think he should have informed me what he was planning. Especially if he felt that it is something I may disapprove of. I'm no spoilsport. My decisions are always based on what's good for the project and the people who live in it.

For me, Independence Day is a sombre occasion. Even though I feel proud to be an Indian on this day in particular, I also tend to think a lot about those who sacrificed their lives so that we could live in an independent country. Have we been able to honour their sacrifices if not repay them? Have we been live up to their expectation of a free country where every Indian would be fed, clothed and housed and kept safe and healthy? So for me Independence Day is a day of mourning because I tend to think of those who died for ME. A day for remembering their sacrifices. A day of feeling proud to be an Indian living in a DEMOCRATIC country. But also a day to feel ashamed for not living up to the expectations of those who laid down their lives so that we could live in a free country.

Anyway, I'm glad the villagers came and had a good time. I am no longer feeling bad that I was unable to be present. In fact, I'm glad I wasn't there and that everyone managed to have a good time, including Hannah, Fran and Kaori, who, I believe, were recording everything on video. I am waiting for Bhola to send me a few pictures via email so that I can upload for the blog.

The weather is somewhat pleasant today. I was a bit worried that it might rain and literally washout the flag-hoisting ceremonies and disappoint a lot of school children and others who treat this occasion seriously. But the carpenter who is banging away at my doors and windows and trying to get them to shut properly, obviously feels that working is the best way of celebrating Independence Day. He will earn his daily bread and feed his family. Because despite seven decades of Independence we have not been able to provide him with the social security that will allow him to put away his tools for the day. The rickshaw puller, the maids, the servants, the cobbler, the tailor, the mason, the labourers, the farmers, practically all Indians from all walks of life have to struggle today to earn their daily bread. Only a privileged few can sit back and enjoy their "hard-earned" holiday.

Jai Hind, Jai Bharat, Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan, Jai Shaheed.... Ma tujhe salaam!

No comments: