Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bolpur Blues



Today is perhaps the first day that I am at home. It feels that way. All of July I felt I was settling in. Today, for the first time, I feel settled. I woke up, did my pranayam, had breakfast, had a bath and am now sitting at the computer.

The internet problem has not been solved. No one seems to know how to get “unlimited” net connectivity. So I am getting online via my cell phone and it’s costing me the earth. I don’t quite like the idea of going to an internet cafe – they ask too many questions and peer over your shoulder at times. Quite disconcerting.

There’s not much to “see” in Bolpur and I think I’ve covered most of it during my earlier visits to the place. But I do need to get to know people and make friends. And I really need to figure out how to start work. I think I’ll think this month. And then start something next month. Of course, life is full of surprises and plans don’t always work out the way we want them to.

The news from the project is good. I have been speaking to Tom and Roisin occasionally. They both seem fine and keep saying “everything is fine”. It’s a pity they have to leave earlier than they expected to.  There’s a transport strike in West Bengal from the 10th till the 12th. And they have a flight to catch on the 11th. So they have to be in Kolkata on the 9th. But to do that they need to leave Godda on the 8th. And since 8th is a Sunday and the police station is closed, they have to leave on the 7th. According to Bhola, they seem ok with it. He’s already booked them on the Godda-Kolkata bus on 7th night.

The volunteers for August are already in India and due to arrive in Kolkata on the 9th. I am trying to work it out so that they can catch the train to Bolpur on the 10th. Once they reach here, Bhola can drive them to the project.

I’m glad the kids are going to have two months of English – July and August. There are still no volunteers for September and the rest of the year. But given the state of the world’s economy, this is not surprising. Renee may come back in November and that would be great.  I am hoping her plans work out.

I have no plans for the rest of the day. I’ll probably sort out my papers (Amie! Wish you were here!), cook myself a decent meal (I had Maggie noodles for lunch and dinner yesterday), take a nap in the afternoon and maybe watch some tv!

No comments: