Monday, August 16, 2010

Miscommunication

I suppose Bhola was  so terrified that I'd disapprove of "fun and frolic" on the project that he didn't quite convey the facts to me. He told me he had hired musicians -- drummers and people played the flute. But when the girls (Fran, Kaori and Hannah) sent me some pictures, I couldn't spot any musicians. When I phoned Bhola about this he told me they had hired "musicians" only. Well, what he actually meant was that he had rented a few musical instruments -- drums, cymbals, flute, etc -- so that he and the children could make music.

I wonder why he's so nervous about this? I don't disapprove of music on the project. Yeah, I'd go ballistics if they played tacky Hindi filmy songs at full blast -- as it happens at weddings and pujas and all other celebratory occasions. But I would encourage them to make music and if I felt they were serious about it, I'd even buy them the necessary musical instruments if we had money to spare!

Anyway, I'm very very happy that they actually CELEBRATED Independence Day and more people than usual participated because of the music. The volunteers enjoyed themselves thoroughly and they sent me an email to that effect along with some photos. I mentioned this to Meena and she was quite amazed -- How did you manage to get pictures so quickly from the project, she asked in amazement. Via the net, I said. You mean to say they are so efficient on the project despite the lack of electricity? Yes, I say, it's amazing what all you can do with a Intel-sponsored Classmate PC and a USB Data Card. Jai Ho Airtel!

So here are a couple of pictures that were sent across. Enjoy......

2 comments:

Mitali Chatterjee said...

Good thing the music happened cos the children also had some fun in the process. Looks like i missed it this year.

Fran Hannah Kaori said...

Hi Siddarth,

We're checking nthe blog from Roldih!The children had lots of fun and Ranjit was a master on the drum! We'll post some more pictures to you of the crowds of people and some videos too (when the interenet is a little better)...

Best,

Hannah,Kaori, Fran