Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bolpur Blues II

People complain when I don’t write the blog and yet, when I do put up something on Dakshinayan Diary, I get no comments! Actually, my beard – and now the lack of it – attracted more comments than the blog or my move to Bolpur!

Sunil, my neighbour and friend in Bolpur, just gave me a datacard. Someone had given it to him as a promo offer and he never used it and had even misplaced it. But last night he found it and gave it to me this morning. Of course it need to be “loaded” with money, but the surfing rate is much cheaper. Let’s hope it works.

As a goodwill gesture I let him use my bike for today. He’s bike is being repaired. So that’s the least I could do for him. Besides, I am unable to mount the bike! I can.... but it’s an effort. I really have grown old! So ever since it came, it’s been used only once and has been lying in the garage ever since. I’m glad it’s being used. At least it will be in running condition. Meanwhile, Sunil is trying to find me a scooter. Apparently, I can find one fairly cheap. In fact, someone was supposed to come over this morning with an old scooter, but did not show up. But according to Sunil, people don’t want scooters anymore and so sooner or later, we are going to find one. Sooner, I hope.

I would gladly give away my bike to Sunil. But yesterday I spoke to Bhola and he says he misses the bike and needs it. Well, if that’s the case, the bike can go back to the project. But I’m wondering why, if the bike is so essential to the project, it is not kept in good repair? I just spent Rs 3000 to get it repaired and in running condition. And now that it is working fine, suddenly it is badly needed on the project? I recall that whenever I asked people why the bike was not being used, I was told it’s not needed really. I should sell it. One of Bhola’s million cousins wanted to buy it, etc, etc. And now Bhola says he needs it on the project and that selling it wouldn’t be a good idea. And that I’m too old to ride a bike anyway! 

Bhola also told me that he had cooked mushrooms on the project! The volunteers loved it. I love mushrooms too. But after one very bad and scary experience in Paharpur, I have given up eating local mushrooms. I prefer the “button” mushrooms available at vegetable stores to the ones growing wild in and around the ashram during this season. But I suppose Bhola knows what he is doing.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

By bike, do you mean the motorcycle that was on the project?