Monday, August 9, 2010

The Strike Is Off

When I called Mitali about 30 minutes ago, she had just finished having lunch with Tom and Roisin and were looking at the pictures that they had taken during their stay at the project. Hannah, Francesca and Kaori had not been in touch. They should have arrived in Kolkata this morning if they had taken the overnight train from Varanasi. I wonder where they are. I hope they get in touch with Mitali by this evening. Their tickets are booked and Bhola will leave early in the morning to get here to fetch them! If they don't show up or show up too late, the plans may go haywire.

The good news is that there is not going to be a transport strike after all. At least that is what the papers are saying. But one never knows -- some local leaders are acting indepently and enforce strikes even though the leadership says it's off! I'm sorry that Tom and Roisin had to leave earlier than expected because of the strike call. I'm sure they would have loved to have a few more days on the project. Anyway, they are getting to see Kolkata, if that's any consolation. If would also be nice if they could meet the new volunteers. I have a funny feeling they took a slow train to Kolkata and that's probably been delayed indefinitely.

It's been another hot day here in Bolpur. I wonder if this is the end of the rainly season for this region. Strange.... it rains in Leh and destroys everything and it refuses to rain here and causes extensive damage to crops. What's happening to the weather?

I've uploaded some pictures of the house in Bolpur on Facebook. If you have the time or the inclination, you could go there and see.

That's all the news I have at the moment.... and when it comes to volunteers, no news is not always good news.

No comments: