Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Volunteers Have Reached Roldih

Bhola, Hannah, Fran and Kaori reached Roldih around 2:00 pm after finishing the police registration process in Godda. I'm glad they left Bolpur early so that they could finish off the Godda work and still reach in time for lunch and not have to make a special trip the next day. According to Bhola, the journey was uneventful and hassle-free. That's good. I was worried about road-bocks and wildcat strikes -- the curse of eastern India.

I'm glad the girls got to meet Tom and Roisin who are probably winging their way home even as I write this blog. Well, my message to them is that even though I haven't spent much time with them, I'm really grateful they came and stayed at Roldih and taught the children. I do hope they come back again. We'd love to have you back.

Well, it's been an interesting day for me. I bought myself a DVD player! Yes, I splurged. But it's not only for entertainment, it's also for work. I may have to show motivational videos to my "students". That reminds me, if you have some good videos on soft-skills or good motivational videos, please do send them!

I had a long, long nap in the evening and spent some time talking music with Sunil, who dropped in. He had helped me buy the DVD player in the morning and helped me set it up in the evening. We share the same taste in music (the Indian part of it) and so we had a lot to talk about. Sunil, who's a construction contractor besides having his fingers in various pies, does not look like someone who'd be interested in classical Indian music! This proves that looks can be so deceptive...

No comments: