Friday, August 27, 2010

My Backside and not My Back!

The corn plants with flowers -- promising!
Though I was a bit tired after the ride from Roldih, I was without aches and pains. I was a bit worried that I'd feel my protesting muscles in the morning after a night's rest. And I did have a good night's rest because it had rained a lot last evening and it was nice and cool. When I woke up this morning (a little later than usual), I felt absolutely fine! Hey, it's good to know I'm a lot tougher than I think I am! I really did expect my back to give me trouble as it has always been somewhat weak. But it was my backside and not my back that seemed a bit sore.
The arhar saplings. They'll grow to be much taller.

I spoke to Bhola a while ago. In fact, I called because I was somewhat worried about the fact that he hadn't called all day to give me any news of his wife. It turned out that he "forgot" to call me! Amazing lapse of memory I must say -- specially since I drove him to Siuri because of the so-called emergency situation. Anyway, it turns out that his wife is feeling much better. When he took my call, Bhola was on his way to the project after having dropped his wife and in-laws at their village.

Corn patch -- view from the well
I also spoke to Kaori to find out how they were while Bhola was away. She said they were all  fine and followed the daily routine. Shanku and Suman were tending to the corn. Actually, in all the excitement about the bike ride and Bhola's "emergency" I forgot to mention the crops on the campus. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that the premises looked quite "groomed". There's a lot of grass, which is normal for this season, but the paths have been kept clear of growth. Even the grass in places have been cropped. But what actually surprised me was the patch of corn between the well and the toilets. And the space between the path and the wall in the east has been planted with lentil (arhar) which is also growing well.

The cemented paths leading to the toilets
With bricks lying around, they've paved pathways leading to the toilets. This is great. I'm happy they are taking the initiative and doing things. But it upsets me that I am not informed of these changes -- before or afterwards! I'm having to arrange for the funds and it would really help to know what's going on at the project. I'm glad I can hop across more often now and find out for myself what's going on. And if all this sprucing up was done to impress me, at least my frequent trips will ensure it's done more frequently!

No comments: