Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Heat and Mangoes

The promised monsoon has not arrived as yet. Oh yes, we do get the occasional shower, but it adds to the discomfort because humidity goes up. Wonder when the rains will start in earnest. A few days ago it seemed that the monsoon had arrived. But we were somewhat premature in our celebrations!

So, at the moment it's hot here and humid. And the situation is worse on the project. It's hotter there and humidity levels have gone up considerably. This means that the evenings are not very pleasant either. Bhola told me that they are all having 3 to 4 baths a day to stay cool. But a bath provides relief for just a few moments. He was envying the fact that I am able to sit under a fan. It made me feel guilty. But then, at his age I was without a fan too! He can go to Devdand and sit under a fan if he wanted to. I did not have that luxury when I was living in Cheo and Paharpur. But I must admit I am grateful that I can sit under a fan and even though it's hard to admit, I am glad I am here in Kolkata and not in Roldih in this heat.

I must also admit that I am bored out of my wits! There's nothing much to do here and it's too hot go out though there are so many things that one can do in this city -- visit art galleries, go to the theater, attend a music concert, etc, etc. But I do none of these because it's too hot and far away and I don't like going alone to these places. Besides, where is the money? Everything costs. So I stay indoors mostly and brood. Still no news about Bolpur. But there's hope. I've heard someone wishes to rent out their "outhouse" -- servant's quarters basically. I'll go and check it out once I find out if the news is genuine.

I've just learnt from Bhola that there haven't been yoga classes in school for a while. That's because classes start very early and there's no time before school and after school it is too hot. I've suggested that the kids do pranayam just before assembly. Perhaps Bhola will take my advise. He's thinking of pushing back the school timings anyway. But is waiting for it to rain and become cooler.

Shanku is back on the project. He had gone home and was due to come back on the 17th but had extended his leave because his mother was unwell. I haven't spoken to him and so don't know how she is now, but the fact that he's back is an indication that she's probably better.

According to Bhola, all is well. He was, in fact, plucking mangoes when he received my call. He has gathered over 150 mangoes and there are still that many on the trees. He's disappointed that I am not on the project to eat a few of them and they will probably not be there by the time I go to the project. Anyway, I'm glad that there are so many mangoes. We can now distribute them amongst the school children. I'm sure they've been eying them for a long, long time!

1 comment:

Franca said...

I'd loved to eat some of these mangoes, which are,literally, fruits of the work done in the Ashram.

I friend of mine (from Taiwan) is willing to be a volunteer in Roldih. I'll write you about it soon. Cheers -and fresh air!