Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Raining in Kolkata!

It's raining in Kolkata. And for once, it's pretty cool here. We've had a few showers over the past few days, but only for short spells that left the city feeling like a steaming sauna. But this is the monsoon rain that has been going on for a while. Hopefully it will continue to rain off and on now and the weather will improve.

I just spoke to Bhola to find out if Roldih has been blessed with rain too. But they've had no such luck. It's still very hot. The only cooling experience they've had is the occasional cloud cover. At times it seems like rain, but doesn't. I know how frustrating that can be.

Even though I'm not frustrated with the weather, I am quite frustrated with life in general. I've been away from the project since February but I have not been able to do any of the things I had set out to do! I left Roldih to set up a centre in Bolpur and in that task I have failed miserably. I still haven't found a place to rent there. And unless I can set up a base in Bolpur, I can't start the centre. It's really frustrating. I'm willing to pay for rent, and yet can't find anyone willing to give me a place on rent. I've followed up on every lead, but to no avail.

I wish I had the money to buy a flat in Bolpur. That would solve a lot of problems. Firstly, I wouldn't have to rent a separate place to set up the centre. Secondly, since it would be MY property, no one could say anything about my activities there. But property prices have shot up recently and I certainly can't afford the 12-15 lakhs needed to buy a small flat. Even if I buy a small plot and build on it, it will still cost a lot more.

Anyway, I've been following up with agents, friends and friends of friends and I'm hoping something will work out. Meanwhile, I am feeling frustrated and non-productive. Also, I have not been well. It's nothing serious. But frequent headaches, low grade fever on most days seems to leave me with very little energy to be "productive". I've done a bit of training work. But that's all I have done. I could go back to Roldih, but the weather there is preventing me from doing so. So I am looking forward to the monsoon starting there. At least, I could go back and teach and feel that I am doing something useful.

I don't have much news of the project really. I speak to Bhola often. But all I get to hear is "all is well". School is from 6 am till 8 am because it is too hot. Even if I'd been on the project, I'd probably be brooding most of the time. Here at least I can watch TV and with the World Cup on, it's probably a good time to be here. Unfortunately, most of the matches are in the night (India time).

Shanku has gone on leave for a week. So Suman and Kartik are at the project along with Bhola. They are all praying for rain and probaly envying me for the beatuful Kolkata weather I am enjoying. Fortunately, it's a Sunday and so it hasn't disrupted life for people. For me, every day is a Sunday these days.

No comments: