Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weather Fluctuations

It’s been a warm day today. Strange how the weather fluctuates these days. I can understand why people ill because of the change of season. Once upon a time Basant was the time for pox. Fortunately, one does not see that illness any more. But cough and cold seems to be common.

Most of the children seem to be harbouring a cold. I sneezed a few times, but I haven’t got a cold as yet. It could have been the paint. Balai is still painting. The masons are still working. But the repair works seems to be close to completion. Another couple of days perhaps. I wonder if people are going to come to work on Republic Day. It’s illegal to do so. But whose checking?

Today we marked out lines just before Assembly so that the children would stand in a straight line! They seem to have a problem queuing up. It helped. So during “sharmdaan” (voluntary work) period, the children made the lines somewhat more permanent by making shallow furrows and then filling them up with chalk powder. I should have taken pictures of them working. They dug up a huge rock that was in the middle of the Assembly area. Of course they couldn’t move it. It was too big and heavy, but the masons and the labour working with them managed to roll it to one side.

The volunteers still have funny stomachs. But it hasn’t affected their appetite. That’s good. And seem to have enough energy to teach and also water the plants. I’ve taken everyone off “kitchen duty” so that I can figure out who or what is responsible for so many people having stomach problems at the same time. I still feel that it was probably the Cheo trip that is the cause. Maybe the pots and pans they cooked their food in was not properly cleaned. It could also be the water of the well there. Or maybe they forgot to was their hands before eating. Anyway, it does no harm to be extra careful. Suman will cook with Bansi’s help. And I’ve give strict instructions that everything should be squeaky clean.

Bruni threw up on the bed last night. Perhaps she’s feeling bad about it. Because she hasn’t come back to lie around as she usually does. She seems well enough. I could be something she ate outside. She goes away with the school kids every afternoon. God knows where she goes. And then returns in the afternoon. Her brats are growing up and keep frolicking all over the place. They have developed the habit of following people around – the children who come to school, the masons, the labourers, the volunteers. Hey! Aren’t they supposed to be wary of people and become good guard dogs?

Bhola brought the anti-rabies medicine and gave Suman an injection. The next injection is due on next Saturday. The last one will be administered 21 days from then. Must keep track of the dates! If I don’t I don’t think anyone else will. Perhaps Bhola will remember. What I like about that guy is that I have to tell him something once and he will not only remember, but also get it done.

Today he brought Nilambar Mahto, a young man who used to teach in a school in Devdandr, but is now unemployed. I had a talk with him and told him what I expect from my team. He seems interested in joining the project from next month. I do hope he does. I do need a back-up. Something tells me that now that Bansi has got himself a passport, he may not stay. Though knowing him, he will probably not tell me till the last moment that he is leaving.

Yesterday when Bhola was in Godda, I had asked him to pick up some chocolates for the girls. This morning I gave it to them. It was a surprise and their faces lit up – especially Tak and Dani. They claim they are addicted to chocolates. I don’t know about that. But it certainly explains their sudden burst of energy!

No comments: