Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bansi's Birthday

It’s Bansi’s Birthday tomorrow. But since we were planning a Saturday night bonfire, I thought it would be a good idea to celebrate his birthday tonight. So this afternoon I called up Bhola and asked him to buy some shirt material and also organize some Pepsi Cola, cake and chips so that we could have a “party” tonight.


I wanted it to be a surprise. And so I did not even tell the volunteers about it till about 30 minutes before Bhola arrived. I was afraid they’d inadvertently let the cat out of the bag! And Bansi, of course, had no clue. I went and stood near the main gate so that Bhola could pass me all the stuff and then he came in through the small gate pretending that he had come to deliver the gas cylinder that had gone for refilling.


I pretended that since he had arrived just before dinner, he could have dinner with us and then I invited him to join the bonfire party. Bansi was frowning as it is not usual for me to invite “outsiders” to stay on after dark.


Meanwhile, the girls arranged the cake and chips and cola and present and joined the bonfire singing “happy birthday....” Bansi’s expression was classic! He was shocked, and then quite pleasantly surprised. He was obviously thrilled to receive the present. He couldn’t stop smiling. (See picture).


We sat around and chatted a bit. Mostly the girls chatted amongst themselves and they are still out there near the fire still chatting! They also pretended to be the Spice Girls and even sang a song – “... when two become one...” interspersed with bouts of giggling and laughter! It was quite funny really. I had to sing a song too! So I sang them my favourite Bengali song ...”phool, pakhi bondhu amar chilo..” Of course, I also had to translate it.


The cake was not too bad. I didn’t know there was a bakery in Devdandr that bakes cakes too! So next time we have to celebrate someone’s birthday, we can order one in advance. The cola was Orange flavoured and the last bottle available in Devdandr. I hope Bansi likes the shirt piece we got him. It was Bhola’s choice.


Bhola is staying over. Normally it would not have been a problem but the roof’s off in the building where Bansi and Suman stay and so it may be a bit uncomfortable for Bhola. Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect Bansi was somewhat unhappy about Bhola staying over. Tomorrow I’ll ask him why.


The day was routine otherwise. School went off ok. The girls are now taking most of the classes and I am now teaching only English and Hindi in classes 3 and 4. They figured that I might as well take it easy while they’re here because once they leave, I’ll have the run the whole school on my own – with a little bit of help from Bansi, of course.


Ramnath from Cheo has not been in touch. I was to arrange a excursion to Cheo tomorrow (Sunday). I wonder if he will show up tomorrow morning or if he has forgotten all about it. He hasn’t called. And he can’t seem to get through to him either. If he doesn’t come tomorrow, the volunteers will have to wait till next Sunday to visit Cheo.


The only problem is that next Sunday is the 25th -- the day before Republic Day. Ramnath and Chandrama may be too busy making arrangements to celebrate it. We’ll be celebrating Republic Day at Baba Gyan Mandir also. In fact, I am planning to distribute prizes to those who came !st, 2nd and 3rd in their respective classes in the final exams last year. I’m wondering what prizes to give them. If anyone has an idea, please let me know. I’ve only been able to think of school bags and pencils!


I can still hear the girls out there. Maybe I should go and tell them to get indoors. The fire must have died out. But they are so busy chatting that I’m sure they haven’t noticed!

2 comments:

Franca said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BANSI!!
Franca

Graham said...

It may not be ok with the tribe, but kids are always excited to get some candy or sweets!