Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wasted Effort

We have two batteries that charge our cell phones and the laptop. While we use one the other is sent for charging to a nearby town which has electricity. For the past three days this place hasn’t had any electricity and so the battery we had sent across hasn’t been charged and the present one I am using is dead! The laptop has some battery power left and it won’t last long. So I’m posting this quick blog. If you don’t see any more posts for a while, you’ll know why. No battery power. We do have a solar panel to charge the battery. But it merely augments that charge that is there. It does not charge the battery.

Bhola returned yesterday from Kolkata. Bansi went to Poreya Haat to pick him up. Bhola brought the caps and the puzzles that Simha had left behind with Mitali. They were a big hit with the kids and also the volunteers! A little bit of fun and games along with studies is good.
But the most disappointing thing was that when I cut open the packet to see what the caps looked like, I discovered that they contained sheets!!!! Someone goofed up while packing the stuff in Delhi! Balaji, who got the job done, cannot be contacted because he has gone to his native village in the south for some religious ceremony. I have no idea when he’s returning. So nothing can be done till I manage to contact him.

I’m disappointed. So are the volunteers and the kids. We were looking forward to distributing the camps on Saraswati Puja day and make it part of the school uniform. But that is not to be and it’s very disappointing indeed.

Wonder what happens when parcels are couriered to us! The solar panels from Intel did not reach us because someone goofed up in Bangalore. The caps did not reach us because someone goofed up in Delhi. And yesterday we discovered that the parcel that Yvonne so lovingly and painstakingly sent us all the way from the States has a mistake in the address! We are keeping our fingers crossed that that parcel will reach us somehow. Keep praying with us please!
I may be leaving for Kolkata today. I’m still not sure if I am going as I am waiting for a phone call before I decide. I’ll be back Saturday morning in time for Saraswati Puja.

And another important announcement. I may shift this blog to a new location. The new blog address is www.dakshinayan.rediffiland.com. It seems more user friendly. I’ve set it up but I have made no entries yet. So please bookmark the url and visit the site if you don’t find any entries here.

No comments: