Friday, January 23, 2009

Bruni's Brat Bites

Suddenly, it’s cold all over again! It’s hard to imagine that we are hardly a week away from spring. Basant Panchami, (Saraswati Puja) is the 5th day of Spring. And yet, this morning it was freezing. It was 10 degrees outdoors. It had been a somewhat warm day and so when I felt cold at night I assumed it was because I had kept the windows open. They had been freshly painted and so I didn’t want to inhale the fumes. But when I stepped out of my room it realized that it was indeed bitterly cold. But Suman was up as usual and gave me my first cup of tea and took some across to the volunteers who were, like me, somewhat reluctant to get out of bed.

Tak still has stomach cramps. This afternoon I gave her some Flagyl and it seems to have helped a bit. A few more dozes and I am sure she will be her normal self. Kaz, on the other hand, is now complaining of cramps in her stomach. If she is worse off tomorrow, I’ll give her some Flagyl too. But I am still trying to figure out why these girls have suddenly developed stomach problems. We are all eating the same food and drinking the same water. But only they seem to be affected.
Suman has gone home (to his in-law’s place) tonight. He left late afternoon after his wife came to fetch him. He cooked dinner before leaving though. And I’m sure he’ll be back to give me tea tomorrow morning. I wonder how he manages to get back so early. The village he has gone to is about 10 kilometres from here.

Unfortunately, just before he left, one of the pups bit him while he was giving them food. Poor guy, he now has to have injections. Bhola happened to be in Godda and so he picked up the injections and will give him the necessary shots. The pups are really becoming a handful. They insist on coming into the kitchen and we have to keep shooing them away. They have to be taught right now. Or else we will have trouble on our hands.

There was school as usual and after two days of 100% attendance, today we had one child short in school. Probably in nursery class.

No comments: