Saturday, June 20, 2009

They have all gone. Bhola, Bansi, Nilambar and even Khagen. He sprang a surprise on me. Said he had to go home for the evening and would be back by morning. And then just as he was leaving he said he would be back by nightfall tomorrow. I told him that he should be back by noon tomorrow or not a all. Richard is arriving tomorrow and the volunteer's room needs to be made ready for him.

Bansi will be back Monday morning to teach. His village is not too far and he will easily be able to cycle back and forth. It may be a slight problem initially, but I am sure he will get used to it. It's not so hot early in the morning anyway.

Nilambar, of course, has gone for good. The parting was cordial and I am sure he will be back to visit if he finds the time. He's got a good job, a new wife and better opportunites. He said he could earn a lot by giving private tuitions and also look after his farm. It is also important that he stays close to his new wife. This is probably the toughest time for her. A new environment and it certainly helps to have your huband around when you are dealing with your in-laws. Or at least I hope so! I'm not expert on marriage as it is.

I'm just feeling a bit bad that I could not say goodbye to Nilambar properly. Just as he was leaving, Harish came to see me. I had asked him to come and meet me because I am a little concerned about Parvati. She used to be a cheerful girl but of late I notice that she is totally distracted in class. In fact, I catch her looking out most of the time. She loses attention even while reading. Not only does she not do her homework, she also does not do her class work! I leave the classroom to check up on Class 4 and she closes her books and stares out at the sky!

So I asked her father, Harish to talk to her gently and find out what exactly is bothering the child. I hope he will be able to communicate with her and encourage her to be more attentive in class. I asked him if there was a problem at home. He said yes. But since he did not elaborate I did not pry. Whatever it is, is certainly affecting the child badly.

I've also told Bhola (for the Nth time) that he shouldn't be staying on the project unless there is work to be done. His father is also ageing and instead of hanging around here he should be helping out his father in the shop. Besides, his wife is expecting! Shouldn't he be near her? The doctor had given June 14th as the due date. That did not materialize and so it could be any day now and I very strongly feel that he should be by her side. He misundertood my intentions, however. He thinks I am "banishing" him. But the truth is I genuinely want him to spend time at home and not waste it on the project when he's not needed. He's very helpful and resourceful and enterprising. And I am afraid that living in these peaceful and protected environment would make him lazy. He was already displaying signs of intertia. I only hope he will take it in the right spirit and that all of them will some day understand and appreciate that the steps I have taken is not only good for the project, but also for them.

It has been yet another hot, hot day. Last night was very hot and humid too. I had thought that perhaps it might rain. But no such luck. I spent the night under the sky, tossing and turning on a matress wet with my own sweat. The day was once again like a furnace. I spoke to people in Delhi and Mumbai and it seems to be the same story everywhere. Is this what global warming all about? Or is this the Aila effect? Whatever it is, there is one thing on everyone's mind --RAIN!

No comments: