Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm still in Kolkata. I was scheduled to leave yesterday. But since Saturday night I've been getting severe cramps in my stomach. It must be some bug that I picked up. And even though I was feeling somewhat better by evening, I didn't want to risk a long bus journey in this condition. I'm feeling much better right now and if all goes well, I'll leave for the project this evening.

It rained last evening in Kolkata. It would have been ideal to leave because I would have had a nice and cool journey back to Jharkhand. I am hoping that it won't go back to being hot and humid today. I'm glad Kolkata has some respite. I've heard it's quite hot on the project at the moment despite a few stray showers.

I've been in touch with Bhola over the phone at least twice a day. All is well. Class 4 children have been mostly busy with their laptops. The other classes have been doing ok. When I am away, usually it's classes 3 and 4 that suffer the most. Attendance has been good.

Bansi is well again. Suman took this opportunity to go "home" for a couple of days. His wife is now no longer staying with her father near Devdand. Suman has taken her to a live at a relative's home near Godda. Nilambar has gone to Pathargama, near his village, to give a job interview. If he get's the job, he may not be back. Or else, he will come back for the rest of the month.

Bhola and Khagen are on the project. But Bhola has also had to rush home every now and then. His wife is expecting and the due date was yesterday, the 14th. But so far his wife is showing no signs of having a baby!

I picked up the shirt material from Mrs Goswami on Friday. I told her I may not distribute this to the children till the end of the year, when they seek re-admission. However, when I go back this time, I'm going to take back a carton full of toys that Jayotsana (Rahul) Bedi has sent for the children. I will also be taking back a printer that I bought for the project.

I suffered yet another bout of cramps while writing this blog. I hope they will disappear and I'll be able to travel tonight. In any case, the next entry will be from Roldih.

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Looks like its something both of us ate. We not feeling to well too.