Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sometimes it is not a good idea to consult experts. When I was shopping for a new laptop (my old one was very slow and obsolete), I told everyone, including the vendor, that I needed a fast machine in order to save battery power. I told everyone I did not have electricity and all I wished to do with my laptop was to write letters, etc. They all suggested the present machine I have. It is very fast and very efficient - state of the art. But what they did not tell me is that it will use up a lot of energy! The vendor told me it would give me 3/4 hours of battery backup. But in reality, if I USE IT, then it only gives me about 1 hour max! The power meter tells me that there's 3 hours of battery left. And withing 30 minutes the same meter tells me I have only 10 minutes of battery power left!
Mitali teaching in class. Here she is in Class III. I can't remember what subject she was teaching when I took this photo.

Meanwhile, I have set up a solar-powered battery charging unit. Once charged, the big battery should help me charge my laptop. Unfortunately, the weather has been strange -- at times hot and humid with lots of cloud cover. At other times, it's cool with lots of cloud cover. It rains, but not as much as the gathering clouds would have you believe. And as we all know, no sun means no solar power worth talking about. Hence, my own laptop is out of power most of the time. Bhola takes it home and gets it charged every time he goes home -- which is not very often. He went home this afternoon because he has to go to the market to buy vegetables for the project. Hopefully, there's electricity in Devdand and my laptop will come back charged. Meanwhile, I am using the CMPC that the children use. It works fine. The only problem is that the keyboard is too small for my thick fingers.

It's raining as I type. We have been expecting it to rain since Thursday. But it hasn't. The clouds would gather and it would become hot and humid. But there'd be no rain. At times, we'd get a strong breeze that would bring in very cool air. And also chase away the clouds! Thank God it's raining now. Tonight's going to be nice and cool and I will probably sleep indoors.

Thursday was school as usual. Nothing unusual. Bhola went off to Chandana Haat (market) and did not show up till evening. The others were conspicuous by their absence practically all day except during lunch and dinner. Bhola was not there to goad them to work. Friday was a repeat of the previous day. Bhola had gone to Dumka to buy stuff for his own shop and a few things for the project too. He came back at nightfall.

Saturday night is weekly meeting night. But since Nilambar was going away for a few days and Khagen too had to go home over the weekend, I decided to hold the meeting on Friday night after dinner. During the meeting, besides reviewing all that happened during the week, I also informed everyone that I was seriously considering closing down the "ashram" part of the project. They could live in Burhikura or Roldih or even Devdand and commute to school every day. They would be free of the "ashram rules" and the "ruler" too. They could, if they chose, also augment their income by giving tuitions. Nilambar is in great demand as a tutor but is unable to give tuitions as along as he lives on the project. I told them that all they had to do was come and teach and go home. For work on the project I'd hire people from the village. Only Suman and I would stay on the project. They were, needless to say, shocked beyond words. What I said to them has shaken them out of their complacency.
This poor snake got killed because of it's size. It's a harmless non-poisonous "dhamna". Suman spotted it near the new well. Thought it was poisonous and informed the villagers who came and killed it. It's been around for a while. I've spotted it many times. It eats rats, frogs and lizards.

Nilambar has taken the news in his stride as I think he found living on the ashram rather restrictive. I don't think it matters to Khagen either way. Devdand is not too far. Bansi, I don't think, has taken the news well, even though he said it was a good idea. I think he's already practising staying away because the only times I've seen him since then is at school and during meal times. The rest of the time he confines himself in his room which he shares with Suman --who will continue to stay on the project. He has certainly earned that right. Bhola will come and go as usual and take care of "outside" work.

Bhola is happy because of late he was getting really sick and tired of getting people to do even the minimum amout of work needed to keep the project functioning. He had to be after Nilambar to write the village visit report every day. He had to be after them to prepare the list for shampoo distribution every Saturday morning. He had to shout at them to help out in the kitchen. He had to even remind them to open the school gate on time! He used to end up doing all this himself. He feels (and so do I) that it would be good for them to fend for themselves. It's really very easy to become complacent on the project -- there's always someone to remind you what needs to be done. Meals are served on time whether you help out in the kitchen or not. You don't even have to go shopping. Just 3 hours of teaching and you can relax all day if no one prods you.

I asked Suman if the new arrangement would be hard on him. He said that since he would have to cook for fewer people, it would, in fact, be easier for him. In any case, Suman has been doing all the work here. He wakes up at 4:30 am and is the last one to go to bed.

I know that some people may quit teaching. But I am prepared for that eventuality. I'll stagger the school hours and teach two classes at a time. I've done this before and it works. It's tiring, but do-able. Besides, there are a few graduates in Burhikura and Devdand who want to teach here. The only reason I did not take them on is because I was looking for people who would live on the project. I've had this stupid hope that some day one of the "ashram" residents would take over from me. Many such people have come and gone. This place was just a stepping stone for them. And honestly, among those present now, I don't see anyone willing or capable of taking over or running the project. There's a lack of sincerity of purpose. It is very obvious that this is just a "job" and a relatively comfortable and secure place to stay.

Mitali left yesterday (Saturday). I hope she will be able to come every month to teach. It was good to have her here. She taught as many classes as she could -- including the periods that should have been taught by other teachers. The children have been falling behind on their English and Maths. I'm sure her intensive teaching has helped.

It's very peaceful on the project at the moment. It has stopped raining. It's cool. Everyone is away except Bansi, Suman and me. Suman is pottering around and preparing dinner. He also just gave me tea. No sign of Bansi. I suppose he's in his room as usual.

If this is how things are going to be when everyone's gone, I'm looking forward to it!

3 comments:

Sim said...

Ok, I now understand that the ashram may be more of a burden then it is worth. And it actually may be more beneficial to do away with it (especially if it means you can get more teachers).

But does this mean the end of village visits then? In the past few months they have been pretty successful, yes? (Even if teachers had to be dragged into doing them). I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious.

Siddharth Sanyal said...

I know you are just being concerned. But don't worry, the village contact programme is not going to close down. Though Nilamber is in charge of it, it's Bhola who is the driving force behind it. Nilamber does not speak any Santhali and so needed Bhola or Bansi whenever he went on a visit. Bhola is going to continue visiting the villages. And now, instead of Nilamber writing the record of the visit, I'll do it.

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that closing down the "ashram" is going to be good for all. Nilamber will be able to augment his income and perhaps bring his newly-wed wife to stay with him. Khagen (who I may keep on the project) will be able to grow up and move away from under the shadow of both Bansi and Nilamber. Bhola will be able to concentrate on actual execution of work. Suman will have less to do and less criticism to listen to. Bansi too needs to spread his wings. He's been cooped up here for too long. Also, it's time he went out into the REAL world. He's been sheltered too long. And of course, I'll find it easier to make both ends meet! With scarcely any funding coming in and no volunteers either, juggling the meagre resources is difficult.

Nothing is permanent. Who knows, maybe some day down the line I'll ask people to come back! And who knows? Perhaps this is a way of finding new and better people!

Unknown said...

I'm glad that the decision of closing the ashram part of the project is having a positive result. All the best!!