Wednesday, May 27, 2009

At exactly 3:00 pm storm clouds gathered over Roldih and extended upto the horizon to the North. A strong wind blew the low lying clouds swiftly southwards and for a while it seemed that it may not rain after all. But who's complaining. We've had enough rain to last us for a week at least.

The temperature dropped from 30C to about 25C within as many minutes and then it started to pour. Rain lashed the trees, the tin roofs of the project and for a while it seemed that it may be a hurricane. Fortunately, it did not last long. It rained hard for about 30 minutes and then the sun came out again. Good. But the temperature has remained at a comfortable cool 25C.

It rained this morning too just as the children were coming to school. As a result we had to hold assembly indoors. Then it was school as usual. It had stopped raining while we were saying the prayers.

It's been a quiet day otherwise. Nothing much happened. The project team has been pottering around. Bansi and Khagen did shovel some earth against well's boundary rim. Bhola is not here today. He went home last night because his father would be away in Barhait, a town in the next district. That's ok. I do want him to spend time at home too. He has a young daughter and a wife too. It's not nice for him to be spending all his time on the project. Besides, if his father isn't around he needs to look after the shop.

Khagen and Nilambar are just back from village visit. They went to Jitender Tudu's house today. His father had gone somewhere so they met his mother who told them that Jitender does not study at all and runs away whenever he is asked to study. Hmmmmm...

Today in computer class, I showed the children a pen drive and explained that it could contain a lot of information. I also plugged it in and make them listen to popular Hindi songs! This they loved! I've promised to let them listen to a song every day after class. I hope they like the songs that are in my collection. Bhola says my selection of songs would put people to sleep! I didn't find the kids falling asleep! On the contrary, I think they liked the songs I played for them -- Kajrare Kajrare... Hum Tum...

1 comment:

Franca said...

So nice to read about the project progress, among them the computer classes: I'm not surprised kids are so good on learning. Pls tell them "Didi" Franca is proud of them -if and whenever you consider it pertinent (I wonder if they remember me!)

And I find the village visits so interesting; I wish I could speak some of their language/s as I'd very much like to join... in case there's an occasion of a next time...

It's curious, language can help to communicate but it can also become a handicap, for example, when one's neither fish or fowl, which's my case with English!