Saturday, May 16, 2009

Connectivity has been restored! Hurray! So now I can type online without having to worry about how long and how much. It's an unlimited package and today I've made full use of it. I've been glued to the news channels watching the results of the recently held elections. The government that's going to be formed a the centre isn't to my liking. But I'm glad that they have the numbers to provide a stable government for the next five years. And I am hoping they will have the vision to bring about some long term changes and not resort to populist measures that harm the country and its citizens in the long run. Anyway, so much for politics. I'm glad it is all over and now hopefully those elected will get down to the business of governance.

It's been a routine school day. It has also been an overcast day like the ones before. But no rain! What's happening? It's raining all around us and not a drop here. Wonder why? Anyway, it is nice and cool and fortunately there's some sunshine too so the battery is getting charged somewhat. We need that to charge the laptops which I am using to teach in class.

The class 4 kids are getting the hang of the computer and are getting used to a mouse. Bhola brought one from Godda. I already had one. It was interesting to note that they couldn't get the hang of it for a while. But they'll get used to it. It's also interesting to note that the girls seem to be learning a lot faster than the boys! I thought Kartik would take to it like a fish to water. But he seems to be struggling the most. Today Prahlad was intructing him!

Attendance has not picked up as yet. I am hoping it will all change on Monday when those who have taken leave to attend various weddings are going to come back to school. The teachers woke up late -- just 15 minutes before the gates were opened and so they forgot to distribute shampoo! I forgot about them too as I was mulling over what to tell them about gambling. Apparently Babuni, the brightest kid in school, has been seen gambling quite openly.

At Assembly I asked them if it would be ok for me to get drunk during market days. They all said NO. I asked if it would be ok for me to gamble on the road. Once again they said NO. So I told them that apparently some kids have been doing such things and they were underage, so why are they saying no to me? They were quiet. Then I went on to explain to them that one comes to school not only to study but also learn good things. Their school has a good reputation and when any one of them misbehaves or does something "bad", it reflects on the school and indirectly on all of them. Think about this, I said. I am sure they will.

Today Bansi make "khichri". It was delicious. So good that I and everyone else took more than one helping of it. Suman was there looking quite unhappy and worried that Bansi might take away his job! Anyway, I do hope he learnt how to make "khichri" from Bansi, who does cook well when the mood takes him.

Today I sent Suman home to spend time with his wife and also get a haircut. I told him to cut his hair really short. He said that since he wears a cap most of the time, he would like to shave his head. I said go ahead. Let's see if he really does that. We'll know in the morning tomorrow.

The masons and well-diggers did not show up today either. I guess we can expect them on Monday. Meanwhile, Bhola brought the pipes and other things needed to fix a handpump to the completed well. Hopefully by the end of next week, if all goes well, the first well will be complete and work on the second one will have started.

Well, that's all for today. I'm going to watch election news now.

1 comment:

mitali chatterjee said...

I also thought Kartik would take to the computer the fastest..imagine prahlad coaching him!
Babuni a gambler! Strange things do happen!