Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I was convinced it would rain today. It has been unbearably hot and humid, one indication that it might rain. Also the ants were moving their eggs. That's another indication of rain. The third thing that happened today was that we were making the platform for the first well. And every time we start construction activity, it rains. And sure enough, towards evening when the concrete was being poured for the lid of the well, the sky grew dark and ominous. Unfortunately, it did not rain. All we get was a dust storm. It did cool things down. But no rain.


Anyway, the first well is now complete. I'm not happy with it because the platform is crooked and the handpump is also not in alignment with the platform! It's immensely functional, but aesthetically not quite ok. I know it will rankle in my mind for the rest of my days. Unfortunately, I haven't been well enough to stand in the sun and supervise the work personally. Now I guess I will have to learn to live with this flaw.


It's been a busy day. Bhola was busy with the well construction work. Nilambar and Khagen were busy with painting work and Bansi was busy helping the string-cot weaver. We now have four string cots made of bamboo frames which can be used for lying under the tree during the day and for sleeping under the stars at night. I sleep outdoors most nights. But tonight I think it will be too cold. But I'm still wondering why it isn't raining here. It is raining in Dumka, Godda, Jasidih. In fact, everywhere except here! But I can't really complain. It's really cool outside.

2 comments:

Sim said...

Congrats of on the well! This feels like a long time coming. You shouldn't worry to much about it being crooked (although I know you will), but as long as the well pumps out water and doesn't crumple when it does rain, it's good.

Congrats again.

Franca said...

Hi, young old man! Yes, certain things rankle in the mind for a long time... Until one leaves the precious liquid run down caressing the throat as a godsend: the importance -and the content!- of the contents.

Even if we took care of everything (impossible task), flaws can hit us, can't they?