Tuesday, March 31, 2009

End of a Quarter

This morning I set up a blog for volunteers called "Volunteer's Dakshinayan". It's available at http://www.dakshinayan-volunteer.blogspot.com/. Here ex-volunteers can upload entries about their experience with Dakshinayan, opinions, criticisms, suggestions etc. They could also upload pictures they have taken while they were here. All they need to do is write to me for the login name and password. I've already told a few recent volunteers about this blog. I hope they will upload something soon. If there are others who wish to write, please let me know.

As usual Bansi, Nilambar and Sharad have gone for the village visit. They have gone to Lakhan Murmu's house. Even after two weeks one of them still drags his feet about it. I really wonder why? Does he have any problems with tribal people? I wish he would tell me what the problem is. I've asked and was told he's enjoying it. Yet, it's apparent to everyone that his heart is just not in it. Anyway, the visits continue.

Suman is of course taking care of things in his quiet way. I've noticed that he not only cooks and cleans. But from time to time he goes to see what the well-diggers are up to. He's the only one who does not seem to need "rest time" in the afternoon. I've never heard him complain. And I've never had to tick him off.

The well-diggers are here today. Not the ones who were doing the digging but the one who took the job. It seems he is plastering the well wall. Not digging. I guess the actual diggers will come tomorrow. Or at least I hope so. This guy could not tell me why the others did not come to work. Anyway, I gave him a piece of my mind and told him I wouldn't give him a paisa till the whole job is finished. The sooner he finishes digging and plastering the well, the sooner he will get his money. I also told him I am now seriously considering whether to entrust him with the task of digging the second well.

Actually, I've exhausted all the money I had. Tak and Dani had left some. Simz had sent some. Sharad gave me some. His sister, Shivani, had sent some money and it's all gone. Most of it went towards paying last month's food bills and unpaid salaries and some of it went on the well. Whatever I had left went towards paying this month's salaries. Sharad has given me some more money. That should see us through. But I doubt if I'll have enough left over to start the second well. I'll probably have to wait till funds are raised. I know Dani and Tak are busy raising some. Renee too has written to say she's contributing. So I guess it will get done eventually. Right now I'm anxious to have at least one well in place before the monsoons.

The weather here is strange. It rained early in the morning. There was a storm in the afternoon yesterday. And right now it's blowing hard. These are not hot winds associated with summer. It's pleasantly cool. Early this morning I was shivering from the cold.

Bhola has gone to Godda on some personal work. But he remembered that the project needs soap to give the children tomorrow for being regular in school throughout the month. Strange that people who are teaching in school did not remember this. When I asked why a list hadn't been drawn up, I was told: We don't know if you'd like to give soap this month! Why didn't they simply ask me?! It's so damn frustrating. It's very obvious that Sharad and Bhola are being looked upon as "enemies". Both of them insist on going for village visits. Both of them are willing to work! In fact, Bhola was here early in the morning with a friend trying to fix the broken tube-well near our toilets. They couldn't fix it because the problem lies elsewhere. We will need a professional to fix it. Someone from Godda perhaps? Or maybe we will NOT fix it. It's not too much effort to carry two buckets of water from the main hand-pump to the bathrooms.

Bhola, Sharad and I were discussing the possibility of buying a small generator and electric pump to draw water from the well. If we do, we won't have enough money to make the second well. But watering the plants will become easier. Storing water in an overhead tank could give us "running water". Let's see. The debate is on. We will probably discuss it again when we all meet this evening after dinner.

It's the end of the month and the financial year. Also one quarter of the year is over. It's time to take stock of what has been done so far and what needs to be done over the next few months. We need to set targets for the next quarter. I also have the difficult task of informing everyone that Bhola is henceforth the new "co-ordinator" of the project. He deserves to be. He's probably done more for this project in a few months than everyone else over a whole year. Besides, he is dependable, enthusiastic, uses his brains and takes initiative. That's the kind of person we need here. He's local and he cares. Honestly, I wouldn't mind handing over this project to him and walk away. I know he will keep it going, whereas everyone else would probably walk away from the responsibility.

No comments: