Saturday, March 28, 2009

The team has gone visiting. If I'm not mistaken it's Danga Roldih Tola. Suman is here. The well-diggers are here. They started late today and so are not finished as yet. They, of course, claim that the earth has become hard. It doesn't appear so. The earth they are digging out is still damp. But we haven't hit the water table as yet. Today, the well is 16 feet deep. Everyone seems to think we will get water at 20 feet. And since they are not going to work tomorrow. I guess, we will not see water till Tuesday. I really don't care how deep they have to dig. I'm fervently praying that we don't hit a layer of rock. That would mean disaster. All the toil and expenses will come to naught! Let's think positive. Let's think positive.

This morning I had an idea. How about starting a blog for volunteers? Say something along the lines of Dakshinayan Diary. But this will be called Volunteers Dakshinayan. Why Volunteers Dakshinayan and not Dakshinayan Volunteers? Partly to trick the search engines. Anyone doing a search for volunteers may be pointed to the blog and subsequently (because it will have links) to the Dakshinayan website and the blog.

This blog has been very helpful. When I get an enquiry from someone, I simply ask them to visit the blog and the youtube sites. Youtube shows them what the project looks like and what the volunteers do. The blog tells them what happens on a day-to-day basis.

Now coming back to the Volunteer Dakshinayan blog: The idea is to allow ex-volunteers to write about their experience with Dakshinayan and also upload their own pictures. Of course, the blog will be password protected. So any time someone wishes to upload a post, I'll give it to them. That may prove to be a bit of drawback though. What do you think? Please let me know. I'll wait to gather your opinions before I set up the blog.

There is something else I wish to have you opinion about: There's a debate going on at the project regarding whether we should start eating meat. Different people here have different opinions. Here is what people on the project have to say:

Bansi: We should remain vegetarian on the ashram because it is an ashram -- a holy place. Also, because if we eat meat, it will lower the "prestige" of the people living here.

Nilambar: I don't need meat every day. But I eat meat and I miss it. There is no decent place nearby where I can go and eat meat.

Suman: (Smiles and mumbles) It's ok.

Bhola: I eat meat or fish every day. But I feel bad that you don't get any. If you don't wish to cook it, I'll bring it from home.

Siddharth: I'd love to have meat once a week. And perhaps a drink to go with it!

Sharad: I'm here for a month. I'm ok. But I don't see why when everyone around here eats meat and drinks, you (Siddharth) should give up on everything. You've done enough for the community. You should do something for yourself too!

Bansi, who seems to have the strongest opinion against eating meat, does manage to eat eggs twice a week and meat once in a while when he goes home. Suman goes to visit his wife and eats meat. Bhola, of course, eats meat and fish every day practically. He's a Bengali and it's part of the daily diet. Nilambar does not wish to go elsewhere and have it. He feels it is hypocritical. So do I.

What do you think?

2 comments:

mitali chatterjee said...

You can always start by eating meat once a week to keep the costs down and like sharad said,since everybody around has meat why should you abstain from it-also its a fact that everybody on the project has meat outside.

Yvonne said...

I'm vegetarian anyway, so take this with a grain of salt... Learning the ashram was vegetarian was a big plus for me and would have been even if I were a meat-eater. It was appealing because it seemed in concert with the idea of an ashram, a higher sense of purpose and awareness that people generally associate with a plant-based diet, and the idea of a "simpler" life. That is very appealing.

Now for those living on the project for whom this is not a temporary state, I can understand how you would miss it. Perhaps once a week, like Mitali said, to keep it a special meal, not affect the budget, and be optional for those who do not wish to partake.