Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ah Well!

Work on the well continues. It's today 10 feet deep. The soil is damp. It's quite possible we may be able to hit the water table in another 10 feet. I'm excited. And also a bit apprehensive. We haven't hit any rocks as yet. Small rocks are ok. A big rock would mean a lot of hassle and expenses. We'll probably have to either abandon the work and start elsewhere. Or perhaps use dynamite to blast the rock and remove it in small pieces. I've got my fingers crossed and also praying to Baba fervently. The well-diggers are optimistic. They say that most of the rocks in this area are near the surface -- at a depth of 6 to 10 feet. Since we haven't encountered any so far the chances are that we may not find any till we reach the water table.



The soil was red upto 6 feet. Now it's yellow. Soft and damp. The diggers are finding it easy to dig. But difficult to remove it. It's hard to move around in a confined space of 4 feet diametre. I don't know how they manage it. I'd feel very claustrophobic.



There was no storm last evening. But the weather was pleasant after sun down. Late at night I had to snuggle under the quilt. It was cold. Early in the morning it was 22 degrees. Of course right now it's quite hot indoors. Outside in the shade, it's bearable. Dry heat. Not uncomfortable.



Nilambar, Bansi and Sharad have gone on village visit. It's Wednesday. So they have gone to Danga (Gadda Parom). It's a long walk. But when I think of the children who used to walk all the way from Gadda Parom to Paharpur every day! I don't think it's a very long walk from Roldih. Quite a few kids from that village come to school every day. Some now have bicycles. Most walk.



And talking about bicycles -- they are now parked in a neat row against the partition wall that separates the volunteers' building from the rest of the project. The first couple of days the cycles were leaning against the wall because most of them did not have stands! Now they all have stands. That's nice. These kids learn faster than their teachers!



And talking of teachers -- Sharad asked the kids how their exams went. They all said it was very easy. And apparently the examining teacher told them that it did not matter what they wrote. They would all be passed anyway! Sharad was obviously shocked. He then asked them how often they go to the government school? They replied that they only go on two occasions -- once to get admitted and then to appear for their final exams. But I know that they also go there to pick up their "stipend". Most of the children enrolled in government schools get a monthly stipend. This is disbursed once every three to four months. Of course, the teacher who disburses it gets to keep a percentage. Sharad could not believe his ears! Neither could I when they said they don't like going to that school because the teachers drink in class! I must check this out. I've seen some of the teachers staggering about drunk. But drinking in class? Sounds unbelievable. But truth, as they say....



Bhola went to Godda to get the motorbike repaired. It isn't going to cost as much as I feared. But it's still quite a packet. The silencer needs to be replaced. The front mud-guard and battery too. Also, the handle, which must have been damaged in an "unreported accident" also has too be replaced. Fortunately, the engine does not require any major repairs. It's fine. Servicing and oil change to have it purring happily. I'll be happy to have a working machine on the project for emergencies. But I've decided that I will not allow anyone without a license to ride it. I could get into serious trouble if I allow an unlicensed person to ride it and have an accident. Besides, I don't see why if a person can be enterprising enough to get himself a passport (not easy) he can't get himself a driving license. What I find amusing is that suddenly no one wants to go to the market any more! They now have to be "pushed" whereas once upon a time they wanted to visit just about every market in the vicinity!



Thank God there's Bhola willing to do all the running around. Someone tried to tell me Bhola is trying to "cheat" me. I retorted that it still makes economic sense to allow him to "cheat" than to pay and feed people not willing to do the work they are being paid for! You guessed right: Bhola is no longer popular on the project even though he got them their jobs!



It's good to have Sharad on the project. He understands many things about the place. He empathizes with my frustrations. He realizes that motivating people to work is project in itself. Working for the community is the next step. He is himself trying to use his own experience as a manager to motivate people. He seems to be succeeding to a certain extent. I'm glad he has a very "hands on" approach. Others have no choice but to follow.

No comments: