Monday, March 23, 2009

New Solar Plate

Sharad, Bhola and I had gone to Dumka this morning to buy a solar panel and we just got back. We had planned earlier and so both Sharad and I had given the children work to do so as we wouldn't be teaching. We just got back and set up the panel and sorted out accounts. So I really have no idea how school went.

But I do know that Nilambar has not been able to prepare a list of children he would like to visit during the village visit programme. I had explained to him how it needs to be done and all he had to do today was ask the children which village they came from. But for some odd reason known only to him, he didn't do this. So three days gone and still the list is not ready even though I'd very clearly explained how easy it is!

And then when I asked Bansi which village they were planning to visit today, he replied that there would be no village visit. I asked why? And the reply was, we did not know when you'd come back from Dumka! If it isn't the dumbest of excuses for not doing work, I don't know what is! He calls the United States to chat with volunteers and yet he can't call me in Dumka to find out when I'm coming back! Besides, what's the connection? I don't go for village visits. They do and it's part of their job. They aren't doing me any favours nor the project nor the community! How does it matter if I come back or not? Does this mean that if I go away for a week or two (as I will in April) everything will come to a stand-still? What nonsense is this?

Sharad is shocked! As it is he feels that people in this region seem to lack initiative and then on top of this it was obvious he didn't know how to deal with a daft excuse like we didn't know when you are coming back and so we didn't go to visit the village.

I know some people this is a very "negative" blog. But this is the reality of the situation here. People, even educated ones, need to be "flogged" verbally to get them to do the job that they are paid to do!

Thank God the well-diggers came to work today. Sharad and I can't understand why they couldn't have worked yesterday. But they worked today and the well is now already 6 feet deep. Another 24 feet to go! If they work regularly then it should be done in a couple of weeks. It gets harder as they go deeper.

Dumka was hot and dusty. But I'm glad I went. I was given to understand the panel would cost a lot more than what it actually cost! Besides, I also managed to garner some technical details from the shopkeeper. Also, it was a good outing for Sharad and me. The drive was through beautiful countryside. We even managed to have a nice meal in a restaurant.

Nothing much happened yesterday after I wrote the blog. Bansi, Nilambar and Sharad have now gone to visit a village. Let's see what they have to say about it. Since Bhola was with us all morning, he's gone home to attend to personal business. Suman is going about his work quietly and efficiently.

Saturday afternoon Sharad and Bhola reorganized the stuff that Yvonne sent for the children. We will distribute them tomorrow among ALL the kids. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take the sketches for photocopying today. I'll get them done tomorrow or day after when Bhola goes to Godda. The kids can colour them to their heart's content. Something to look forward to!

No comments: