Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Happy Holi

It was the festival of colours today. But we did not celebrate it on the project. Earlier we would invite the children to come and play with colours on the campus. But later we felt that it was not fair to call them to school on what is actually a "family festival". So like other years, this year too, we declared a holiday. I suppose the kids had a great time in their respective villages. The non-tribal kids at least. The tribal people don't celebrate holi and even if they do, they splash water on each other rather than colour like the non-tribals. We did hear the beating of drums in Burhikura. Roldih and the other Santhal villages were quiet as usual.

On the project Bhola brought some sweets and a packet of colour. I put some colour on Baba's feet. That was Holi for me. We ate the sweets and later Bhola, Bansi, Nilambar and Suman made puris and subzi for lunch. It was great. I overate. And then slept all afternoon. I hope I will be able to sleep tonight!

It's been a quiet day otherwise. No one came except Ramprasad and Ramnath. Ramprasad was here in the morning discussing something with Bansi. I don't know what it was all about. Ramnath came to see me because he needs paint for Cheo. Bhola was here and so he promised to arrange for all that.

Acutally, I'm becoming quite dependent on Bhola. He is the kind of person I would like to have on the project. He is aware of what's going on at the project. Takes an active interest in everything and also seems to have the project's well-being in mind. I often find him giving suggestions to Suman, Bansi and Nilamber. I wonder if they resent it. Except for Suman, who really seems to be working all day long, the others seem only interested in doing "routine" work -- get up in the morning, have breakfast, get ready for school, teach, eat, rest, water the plants, eat and go to sleep. No enthusiasm, no interst and definitely no initiative!

Anway, I'm glad I have Bhola to help out. It's a pity that he can't spend more time than he already does on the project. But he seems to be doing everything -- organizing construction, supplying materials, shopping, giving ideas and suggestions.... Who knows, I am now wondering if Baba wants me to hand over the project to him when it's time for me to go? He's local... what better than a local person with his heart in the right place?

No comments: