Monday, March 9, 2009

Back in Roldih

Back on the project. It feels good. Fresh air. Lots of open space. Trees. Flowers. Birds. And of course, it feels good to be back home. Though in Kolkata too I was very much at home in Mitali’s house. But those who have been to the project know what I mean when I say it’s good to be back “home”. Even Mitali says that when she comes here. This place really does feel like “home” to everyone who has been here.

According to the new routine, I am teaching only Class IV. It was good to be able to teach and I am sure the kids were happy that they have a teacher. The other classes are doing fine too. Graham is teaching and is in the groove of things.

But I get the impression nothing moves when I am away. That’s not nice. It would seem that no one wants to take any initiative to get things done and certainly don’t wish to take any decision. What will happen if I have to go away for a long time or even permanently? The only person I seem to be able to depend on is Bhola.

He came to fetch me from Poreya Haat on Sunday morning when I arrived. Bansi could not come because the motorbike is not ok. I guess he is waiting for me to get it repaired! Yet on Sunday evening the bike seemed to work fine when he had to go to the local market 10kms away!
Everything seems normal. Today I talked to some people about digging the well. But their charges are exorbitant. Bhola is looking for alternatives.

It also seems that I may have an alternative to the present net connection. It will be a little expensive initially, but will work out cheaper in the long run. Let’s see. I’ll know tomorrow. The present arrangement with Airtel is working out too costly.

No comments: