Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New Net Connection

It's such a relief to be able to go online and not worry about how much it will cost! Bhola managed to get me a "plug and use" modem from Airtel and even though the initial expenses are high, the monthly cost is a fixed Rs 500. That's great. I realized I was spending over 1000 rupees just checking mail under the old system.

Usually, I type the blog offline and then "cut and paste". Even that was expensive. An average or Rs 20 per blog. That itself worked out to Rs 600 per month!

It's been an usual day otherwise. Last night it started drizzling! And the temperature plunged to 22 degrees Celsius. The day was overcast and cool. Tomorrow is Holi. I hope it warms up otherwise it is not going to be fun sprinkling colours and then having a bath to clean up!

On the project we are not celebrating the festival. Partly because it is a predominantly Hindu festival and we don't wish to be "branded". And partly because it is messy and I think the kids are better off playing with their family and friends.

School went off well. The children were in a holiday mood, but disciplined as usual and paid attention in class. But I could see there was a lot of suppressed excitement. Did I detect some disappointment when I said we would not be celebrating it in school?

Anyway, that's all for today... The hills are on fire. They are burning the underbrush. The palas trees are still flame orange with flowers. And it's not too hot. Hope it remains cool for a few more days.

No comments: