Saturday, February 14, 2009

Still in Kolkata

As the title suggests, I am still in Kolkata. Hopefully, I will be able to go back to the project by the end of next week. There's still a bit of work left here and perhaps we'll be able to wrap it all up by next weekend.

Today, of course, I am busy with the "move". I've packed most of my stuff and at the moment waiting for the electrician to show up to "unplug" my electrical fittings -- fans, switch-boxes, etc. Then I need to go out and find a mini-truck that will be willing to transport all this to Mitali's home. It will certainly crowd up her place!

I've been in touch with the project every day. I usually call at the crack of dawn to ensure that everyone wakes up on time and also give instructions for the day. According to Bansi all goes well at the project. The school is doing ok and actually, now that construction work has come to a stand-still, there's little else to do. Even the garbage pit has been dug up. Only some whitewashing and painting work is left. I got news that Balai will start work on that today.

Poor Balai, he's desperate to get married. People in his village have been egging him on. He got his house repaired, then he dug up a well so that his wife would not have to go to the pond to have a wash. And just when he was all set, his prospective father-in-law came to him. Unfortunately, he entered the wrong house by mistake and guess what? He decided to get his daughter married off to the son of the house owner!!! Poor Balai. He's terribly disappointed. Naturally. But above all, is convinced that he is not getting married because he hasn't finished work at the ashram! So now he has decided to come and finish the work at the ashram, seek Baba's blessings and then go and get married. Hmmmm.....

Today is Valentine's Day. I never liked the idea of earmarking one day in the year to show "love". But this year, because the "self-appointed moral police", I have decided to wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day.

No comments: