Friday, February 6, 2009

Change of Scene but No Change!

This post comes to you from Kolkata. I'm here on personal business this time. But that does not mean I'm not doing Dakshinayan's work. I'm going to use this opportunity to get in touch with all those who have been supporting our work to see if they wish to continue supporting us, write a monthly newsletter, etc. etc.

I spoke to Rahul yesterday and he's very surprised that the solar panels haven't arrived. I hope he will be able to speed up the process and I will be able to take them back to the project with me when I return. When do I get to go back? I don't know. As soon as I can, I guess....

Things are fine on the project. The volunteers have left. Bansi and Nilambar are taking care of classes Nursery, One, Two and Three. I've given class Four kids a lot of work to do and so they will be busy till I get back. Construction work is over. So there's no pressure on those who are there. The project will keep ticking till I get back. I'd love to be back as soon as possible because this is the best season to be out there. The Palas will start blooming soon. Oh what a wonderful sight that's going to be.

I've been so busy with meetings since I came here that I haven't been able to visit Renee who's at Woodlands Nursing Home ever since she arrived in Kolkata. She was ill with a bad stomach on the day she was to leave. The situation got worse when she arrived in Kolkata and so she decided to check into a nursing home instead of a hotel. Wise decision. I just spoke to her and she said nothing was seriously wrong. She was dehydrated and of course had diarrhoea. She's fine and will probably be out of hospital in a couple of days. Karoline is with her. So they are both fine. I'm relieved.

I met Danielle and Katherine for a quick lunch yesterday. They were their usual bubbly self. It was nice meeting them and I hope they will enjoy their travels. They left for Varanasi yesterday.

Well, that's all the news I have to offer at the moment. It's time to get ready and go for yet another meeting. Suman's not here to serve breakfast so I guess I'll just pick something up on the way.

And for those who have been following the blog, I have decided to keep writing here. The other website seems to have some glitches. Some people have written in saying that the site does not open! That's sad. I'm glad I didn't write much there. So visit this place whenever you find the time. And please do write in once in a while so that I know I'm not talking to empty space!

1 comment:

Sim said...

I haven't visited the site too often due to lack of time, and I still don't have internet in my new apartment yet (it's a long story).

But I'm reading now. Thank you for writing, it's really great to be able to keep up with you guys.

You should also post a link to the blog on the Dakshinayan website. And also you should post a link to the facebook group on the official site. It could help with networking and getting the word out to potential volunteers!