Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ready to Leave

I'm still in Kolkata and feeling guilty about being away from the project. But I'd rather finish what I came here for than have to come back every now and then. This time when I get back to the project I hope to stay put for a couple of months at least before I even consider a break. At least, that's my plan. But as we all know, things don't always work out as planned.

The news from the project is good. The whitewashing work is over and the iron windows in the "staff building" are being painted. Hopefully, by today or tomorrow, it will all be finished. According to Bansi "sab thik hai". Those words worry me because in the past whenever people on the project had informed me that "all is well", I've had to go back and clean up a lot of mess!

School is going ok with Bansi and Nilambar following the routine I chalked out for them. Class 4 kids are busy finishing the assignments I had given them. But yes, they could do with some actual teaching. I can't wait to go back and make it up to them.

I'm glad I've given up the flat in Kolkata's Santoshpur. I feel relieved, in fact. It's great to be in Mitali's place. Don't have to worry about food or getting my clothes washed. And what's more important is that I am not wasting money on a flat that I rarely use!

Mitali's address was being used for Dakshinayan anyway. Yesterday we got the parcels that Yvonne sent for the school. I haven't opened them as yet as they are so neatly packed that I don't want to tamper with them. But I am curious to see what's in them anyway. There are four parcels in all.

Graham, a volunteer, is expected on the project on the 25th. That's great because we will have an English teacher. I am quite looking forward to his presence. Hope he'll like the project.

That's all for the moment. Hope my next post will be from the project.

No comments: