Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tak's Birthday



I had posted this entry at the rediffiland site. But many people complained that they couldn't open the site. So I'm now back to good old blogspot. I also felt that it would be a good idea to post re-post this particular entry here. I was first published on 1st February.






I wished to start posting the entries here from the 1st of February. But yesterday was Tak's birthday and after the bonfire and birthday party, I was too tired to switch on the laptop write about it.
It was a Sunday. So there was no teaching to do. But still it was quite hectic for everyone. The girls did a lot of washing. Bansi and Nilambar went to get the windows welded. There was toilet cleaning, etc. etc. Everyone was busy. But in the evening, Bhola came with the cake, chips and pepsi cola and we gave Tak a surprise. I think she was expecting something of this sort because we had celebrated Bansi's birthday in a similar fashion. I think the cat was out of the bag when I mentioned that we'd have a bonfire. And even though I called it the farewell bonfire for Renee and Karoline, I'm sure Tak guessed that the "birthday party" was in the offing.
It went off as usual. The bonfire was lit by Bansi and Suman. Tak cut the cake. We ate some. Drank some cola. Sat around the bonfire. The girls talked amongst themselves. The men kept quiet. Then it was time for dinner. I decided to skip dinner. So did Renee, who was not feeling too well. She had been out in the sun for a long time and we suspect she had sun stroke.
In fact she was quite ill this morning. I felt a bit bad about letting her travel to Kolkata like this. But it made sense that she should go to Kolkata instead of staying here. Not that she wanted to. Her travel plans were made and Kaz and she were scheduled to leave anyway. In Kolkat, if need be, she can see a doctor. Here that would not be possible.
Dani and Tak are left on the project. They are leaving for Kolkata tomorrow. I will leave with them too. I'll probably catch the bus at Poreya Haat as I have to make labour payment, etc. before I leave. Besides, they will be busy with police work. I don't want to be hanging around in Godda for three hours. I hate going there.
Nilambar taught for the first time in this school. He attended my class in the morning to see how I teach and then he was on his own. I'll have to work out a routine again. There will be no volunteers. So it will be up to me, Bansi and Nilambar to teach five classes. I'm sure it can be done.
The plastering of the wall is almost complete. A few more hours of work and it will be all over. Tomorrow they will fix the welded windows in staff quarters. And then we will call Balai to whitewash the rooms and some portions of the boundary wall. I want to give construction work a break -- mostly because we have run out of funds.
Bansi has gone home for the night. He'll be back tomorrow morning. He'll have breakfast here.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Wow...I think I can see the new Western restrooms in the background? Looks like you're all sitting near the banyan tree. Sounds like it was a nice birthday celebration!