Saturday, October 2, 2010

Shantiniketan weather sucks

The weather in Shantiniketan (Bolpur) really sucks! This is supposed to be autumn and I've just had my third shower. It's 9:00 pm and it should be cooler than the day? But it isn't. I had just driven across to the market to buy some sweets and even though I hadn't walked, when I got back home, my kurta was completely drenched in sweat.

When I went out this morning at 9:00 am to watch a movie, the story was the same. Though I had driven up to the movie hall and had to walk perhaps 30 yards or so, I was completely drenched in perspiration! Thankfully, the hall was air conditioned. When I got home it was still an hour to noon and yet, I was glad to be back and grateful that I could have a shower and sit under the fan to cool off.

The weather is really driving me up the wall. One does not expect to suffer this much even in October. I don't expect it to be cool. But I certainly expect the evening to be more pleasant! Even congested and polluted Kolkata is pleasant these days. It's raining on the project and people need to sheets to cover themselves at night. But here in Bolpur, it's as if we have just entered the hottest month of summer! And I lost all hope of the weather improving when someone told me last evening that the "weather has improved so much"! Boy! If this is "improved" weather, Bolpur is certainly no place for me!

I don't think I can continue to live in this town if this is what the weather is like! I may have to leave for cooler climes. Which is sad because I am growing quite fond of Bolpur, Shantiniketan and the surrounding area. Of course the weather has prevented me from exploring more and truly enjoying the countryside. I'm really disappointed on that score. I keep waiting for better weather to go out and take pictures. And I certainly saw nothing of the "famous Shantiniketan monsoon" that the bard wrote so much about. I suppose, like most poets, he fantasised a lot, romaticised a lot and probably exaggerated a lot to attract people to some and settle down in this desolate land. I see no evidence of pleasant weather and honest, haven't seen it ever since I have been frequenting this town since last November. If I recall correctly, it was hot in December last year. I was told it's "usually not so warm". Hmmmm.... so may as well give up expecting pleasant weather here.

Well, as I said, it's been raining in Roldih. Bhola has  been ill. He ate something somewhere and has ever since been suffering from stomach aches. School goes on and so does life. Nothing unusual except for Bhola's illness and that fact that he thinks it's necessary to saline "drips" because he hasn't been able to eat much and therefore feels weak. But he drove from Roldih to Devdand!

The English Adda is already experiencing trouble. One girl has dropped out. And one boy doesn't seem very serious. Sunipa seems to be the only serious one and perhaps to some extent Arindam. If Kunal comes for class on a regular basis from Monday, I'll take him seriously. But Tuli has sent word she won't be coming.  It's her loss. And the loss of many others who said they wanted to learn how to speak English but haven't shown up even though I've spread the word. I should have "advertised".  Anyway, as I keep saying this is a learning experience for me too. At least I'm able to develop a "teaching plan".

Todays movie was nice -- an old Ritwick Ghatak classic, "Ajantrik". It's a story of a man and his obsessive love for his vintage car. In the process the car assumes a "human" character. Great movie. This is the 4th time I'm seeing it. I saw it last in Copenhagen almost a decade ago! I wanted to go to the weekly "haat" but decided it was too hot to step out of the house. A sensible decision. I did some reading instead.

1 comment:

Rajeev Pareek said...

Where you went for the movie ? Gitanjali ?