Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cooler Weather

The weather has certainly improved. It's much cooler and in fact, at night, one needs a light covering. But will this spell of cool weather last? Are we moving into winter? Or is this a freak phenomenon because of the "depression" in the Bay of Bengal? The timing is, as usual, very unfortunate. The entire eastern region is getting ready to celebrate Durga Puja and it has to rain now, when no one wants it to rain!

The organizers of these pujas, I'm sure, are very worried. And so are those who usually go on holiday during this time, especially to places close by -- Digha, Shankarpur, Mandarmani, have all be badly hit by the rough sea. In fact, a lot of seaside destination have had to deal with 8 metre high waves. Stalls have been washed away and many mud houses in the villages have collapsed. Tourists have suffered too! Some were injured.

This year, the weather seems determined to made life difficult for every one in India! It rained in places where it shouldn't have. It didn't rain in places it should have. And by not raining at the right time it caused drought condition in large parts of the country. And by raining too much in some places it damaged crops. Also, by raining at the wrong time, it has destroyed standing crops! And of course, it literally dampened the spirit of celebration -- whether it was the CWG or Durga Puja. I wonder what calamities might befall during Diwali!

Anyway, I'm glad it's cooler. A weak sun has just made an appearance. Perhaps this evening I'll be able to go out and take a few pictures. I couldn't go out yesterday because it was drizzling off and on. And if this weather persists, it would certainly be more pleasant to be on the project. I must admit that after all these years of doing without it, I somehow have grown attached to basic comforts! I can't do without the fan when it's hot! But if the weather is like this, I'd love to be on the project.

I'm curious to know what's happening on the project. I'm really not getting much feedback from there despite daily phone calls. I'm looking forward to going there with Renee and spending some time there. I'll certainly stay there till after Diwali. But what if things have deteriorated? Should I stay back and "pull the chestnuts out of the fire" or should I simply walk away and let things slide? Honestly, I still can't decide.

The English Adda hasn't really taken off. But then I haven't launched it as yet. I was experimenting. But even though I have offered this programme free of charge, there haven't been many takeres. And those who joined don't seem to be serious about it. They seem to have "other priorities" -- sleeping, going on picnics, meeting friends, etc. Maybe they are not serious because it is free? We'll find out soon enough. I will be resuming sessions after Diwali. Meanwhile, I'll publicize it some more. Let's see what happens.

But I am happy that I have decided to extend the academic year at Roldih till the end of March. Let's take advantage of the weather and do some serious teaching during the winter months.

1 comment:

Rajeev Pareek said...

plan a trip to Garh Jungle, its an ancient old Durga Mandir in middle of forest. Its somewhere near to Panagar, ask locals more on that. Never been there but heard its an interesting place to visit.