Saturday, October 30, 2010

Diwali Preparations

We had an early lunch of "khichdri" today. It was delicious and everyone took multiple helpings. The reason we ate early was to ensure Bhola could have lunch before going to Godda to withdraw money to pay the honorariums and also to buy crackers and candles for Diwali. And thanks to Rahul's usual generosity, we will have a great Diwali. He has agreed to contribute the total estimated 6000 for the celebrations. Renee too chipped in with 500. Then unexpectedly, Mitali's son Jijo, who got his first salary, decided to send 500 for the children to celebrate Diwali. I am touched. Really deeply touched. God bless them all.

This year, we plan to spend more on sweets for the children and less on crackers. My daughter, Sukanya, does not approve of me spending ANY money on crackers. Not because it's a waste of money, which it is, she's principally opposed to crackers because they are manufactured using child labour. In fact, the children who work in the fireworks factories are literally slaves. They come to work before dawn and often have to work till midnight. And then start all over again before dawn -- 7 days a week. Working conditions are apalling. They hardly get much to eat. Parents, mostly impoverished peasants, get the money the children toil for. And as I write this, I am wondering why I buy even on cracker!

I told Bhola about this. He says we will no longer have crackers for Diwali celebrations. But since we have promised the kids this year, we should keep our promise. But we must tell the children about the child labourers who manufacture the crackers and explain to them why we should not have crackers any more. We'll spend the money we spend on crackers on sweets and fruits for the children here. So this year, even though there may be fire works, it is going to be very low-key. And Bhola will buy them from manufacturers who don't use child labour. There are a few such companies. Their crackers are expensive. But that doesn't matter. We'll have only a few crackers and our conscience will be clear.

The day has been ok so far. Attendance was good and attention was good in class too -- my class. Unfortunately, I had a severe headache and was unable to teach after the break. Bhola taught them maths instead. I don't know why, but I seem to wake up with a headache every day and unless I take a pain-killer, it stays with me all day. I'm feeling ok now, which is why I'm writing this blog.

It's becoming more and more pleasant as the days pass. Winter may set in after Diwali. Even Kolkata is no longer "sweaty". Today I took out my woollens and put them out in the sun.

I am touched by some of the responses I received on yesterdays blog post. Let's all pray that we don't have to close down the project... miracles do happen and I believe in it firmly. But the miracle has to be sustainable to make the project sustainable. Both Bhola and I are trying to figure out a way to make this miracle happen.

That's all for today. I'm grateful to all that the children will have a good Diwali this year too. They look forward to it all year. It would be a pity to disappoint them. Let's hope this is not the last Diwali. And we'll ensure that the next Diwali will not be enjoyed at the expense of little children elsewhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Drawing rangoli and putting up decorations are my favorite diwali preparation. And of course, cooking those sweets and treats. I hope everyone having a great Diwali celebration.

Cheers xxxx
Akhila
Diwali Decorations