Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weekend Blogs

Another Sunday gone -- almost. Soon the sun will set. The mosquitoes are going to attack and we'll try to have dinner as quickly as possible so that we can get to bed and hopefully have a good night's sleep. School starts early tomorrow. So we have to be up early too. Maybe I'll change the timing from next month. School could start at 8:30? Soon it is going to get chilly in the mornings.

Khagen and Suman have been busy doing house-cleaning. They have just discovered that all the
wooden beds have got termites! So we really need to do something before those creatures
demolish them! The question is what? Bhola probably knows. He'll probably be here this evening with meat for Bruni. He was here last evening when he went on his village visit to Rai tola -- especially to find out why Shivnarayan Rai isn't coming to school for over a month. It seem
s his father was quite ill and in hospital and Shiv and his brother (also in our school) had to go with the mother to the hospital to look after him. He will be coming to school from tomorrow.

Of late, I have been seriously thinking about discontinuing the blog. No. No. No. It has nothing to do with the recent controversy. I have thinking about it for a long time and also discussing it with Mitali from time to time. We have both been wondering if the blog serves a purpose. Does it really help the project?

Before I started the blog, I used to send out monthly newsletters. I've stopped doing that. And I suspect, that a lot of those who don't receive the newsletter any more, don't bother to read the blog either. Who has the time these days? They probably read the blog once a week. But by that time there is soooooo much to read.... you get the picture?

I know that some of our recent volunteers read the blog "regularly". But do they read it every
day? I doubt it. So where is the need for a DAILY blog? I was unable to write for a whole month. So what happened? A few people were concerned and did enquire as to what was wrong. But we could count them on the fingers of one hand! Most people did not even notice! Not even some of my friends!!! I'm exaggerating. We are in touch on the phone and so where's the need to read the blog. They are probably fed up with my whining anyway.

So here's the deal. Expect a weekly blog. I'll put it up on Saturday so that those interested have the whole weekend to read it. And I will send out a monthly newsletter which will reach even those who are least interested simply because they are on my mailing list! How does that sound?

I'll have lots of photos to upload. I'll have lots to say on weekends. And on other days I'll have lots of time to write my memoirs! Who knows, it may become a best-seller and earn lots of money and then fund the running of the project! There goes the dreamer. Now that I don't smoke I can't even put it in my pipe!




7 comments:

Sim said...

Wow, I must have missed the last few days because I had to backtrack to catch that whole firestorm. Wow! I guess you got your wish of the blog being interactive, careful what you wish for.

I wouldn't be opposed of a weekly blog. As long as you post AT LEAST once a week. And you must post if urgent news is occurring on the project (ie, teachers leaving or being threatened, children becoming teachers, new computers, etc...). Then you should notify others of the urgent blog (maybe via facebook status).

By the way, I think you did the right thing with the dogs. Of course it is a tough decision to make. But the needs and safety of the children, your staff, the villagers, and yourself are of much greater importance. Plus, it's not as if you drown them, they'll likely be fine. (Although I certainly hope that you did not intend on following through with your threat to Suman's salary. That would be would completely unreasonable and an outrage).

Siddharth Sanyal said...

I think everyone realized that I was not serious about deducting Suman's salary... including Suman. Everyone on this project has heard this "threat" before. I've never docked anyone's salary on the project. Not even of people who worked for 20 days and got paid for 30 -- except once, to set an example. I later gave the poor chap the rest of the money "unofficially". I was simply reporting my conversation with Khagen and Suman. I guess my mistake was in ADMITTING that I rave and rant when upset! And probably reporting too much.

But of late I've been wondering about this blog (this is before the firestorm). It's more like a damn reality show! Everyone knows what's going on at the project. But I have no idea of what's going on in their lives! Also, it's a bit of "Aaa bail mujhe maar" -- "come bull, come and butt me!".....

Sharad Dutta said...

Even though I enjoy the daily blog and facebook tidbits, I agree with Sim if you write a weekly blog unless something of importance you would like to share. I just hope you wouldn't stop from sharing your thoughts and feelings as you have so wonderfully shared in the past just because of some recent comments/feedback. Not having a great support structure at the project, I am sure the blog provides a good channel for you to stay connected with people who do care what happens on a daily basis.

I also agree with the decision to send-off the pups. I am sure it was a hard decision for you since you did care for them. With the limited staff/budget I am sure every little bit of cost savings, reducing unnecessary distraction, counts.

Sim said...

I'm very pleased to hear that you were not serious about Suman's salary. And I do apologize if I have ever been that "bull" (I do usually think my comments through pretty throughly before posting).

I do agree with Sharad though (sidenote: I guess after the firestorm it's a bit of a lovefest with Sharad and I agreeing on everything, haha). Anyways, if the blog serves the meaningful purpose of allowing you to vent your frustrations, then you should be able to do so, especially if the blowing off of steam leads to a calmer demeanor on the project.

As far as you telling your story and not hearing any else's, do you wish to be informed about the goings-ons in the lives of the "blog regulars"? I would start up my own blog, but believe it or not, I don't think my daily life is nearly as interesting as the project. haha. But I would be more than happy to fill you in via facebook (I don't think everyone else wants to hear about it). And if you do wish to be more informed, I don't think it unreasonable for other ex-volunteers to do the same. If those aren't your wishes though you better let it be known quickly before my post results in a full facebook inbox for you. haha.

P.S. Apologies for the super-long post.

Siddharth Sanyal said...

Hey Guys,

I'm glad you agree with me that a weekly blog would be fine. I will definitely fill you in on the important bits of news. I'm sure you'd find it just as interesting as a daily blog. In fact, perhaps more interesting and less time-consuming.

Often I've tried to make the blog interesting by reporting even the most mundane and making it seem interesting. I don't think I should be reporting my daily interactions with my team mates. It's not fair on them, to say the least. And it serves not purpose, I feel. Prospective volunteers read this blog too. I don't wish them to have formed impressions about people on the project even before they arrive here!

Even tha's a toss-up. Should they know what they are getting into? Or should I let them come here and discover the project for themselves and form their opinions based on their own perceptions.

I'm maintaining a daily log. So someday in the future, those interested, can read about what's going on at the project today. And since I'm not publishing, I can be more honest in my recording of events.

I'd love to know what's going on in your life. I'd like to encourage each and every ex-volunteer to start a blog. It's easy. Keeping in touch should be a two-way thing! As for flooded inboxes... how do you know it isn't flooded already?

I'm an old bridge Sim
And long has been the river's flow Your boat went by moments ago

I've seen many boats
Of many shapes and sizes
Some with sails and some without
Yours wasn't the first to sail past
And it won't be the last no doubt!

Sharad Dutta said...

What about the memoir? I would love to be a part of that project. You were being sneaky and just threw it in there in one of the last posts. Remember we had talked about writing that when I was at the project? I often think of that. Thanks for sharing that beautiful thought below.

Tak said...

Siddharth... Is Shivnarayan Rai from class 2? I taught a Shivnarayan, but I think there may've been two boys by the same name at Dak? If so, that is such a shame... He was one of our 'class 2' projects... Renee and I actually watched him improve over the month that we taught him... in the beginning he NEVER spoke or put his hand up and was always too shy to give an answer.. he struggled a lot. By the end, he was one of the most enthusiastic participants and learnt to persevere with his work, and give everything a go. I hope he has been attending school again now that his father has recovered? Is all ok?