Thursday, August 13, 2009

Generous Mrs Goswami

No yoga today. The sky is looking ominous and it's going to pour and pour and I have no wish to give up my asanas midway. So I've decided to give it a break. Now I do hope it rains. It will be very disappointing if it does not.

Today the school kids and Bhola spent a lot of the "free time" to spruce up the campus in preparation of Independence Day. They even put up the flag pole and hoisted the flag a few times to ensure that it would unfurl smoothly on D-day.

The new uniforms for classes 3 and 4 will be ready by tomorrow and they will be distributed tomorrow evening so that the children can wear them for Independence Day. I just spoke to Mrs Goswami and she has very kindly agreed to pay for the material for the pajamas and chunni. The children are going to pay for the stitiching. It's going to be about Rs. 60 per head. Had Mrs Goswami not agreed to pay for the material it would have worked out to about Rs. 200 per child. Somewhat unaffordable at this juncture when famine is stalking the land. The project is in no position to pay. So it's fortuitious that Mrs Goswami has agreed to foot the bill.

I'm really excited about this too. I've been wanting the children to wear traditional clothes. Most people here feel that to be educated is to wear western clothes. Some of our ex-teachers wouldn't be caught dead in traditional clothes. I'm happy that "my" children are quite excited and looking forward to their new uniforms.

The net is working fine now. Earlier I was able to connect at 64kbps and now, thanks to Rahul and his influence, I am able to connect at 256kbps! Amazing, isn't it? Unfortunately, for about three hours this morning, we were unable to make phone calls! Thank God, the phones are working now.

1 comment:

Tak said...

Traditional clothes for the kids? I can't wait to see how they look. I always thought that the uniform looked very contrasting to the surroundings of Roldih.. interesting but true - so many peoples the world over believe to be educated is to look Western - but this is simply NOT true!