Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Off Colour, but Online

The net is still giving me trouble. But the only difference is that now it is I getting calls from Airtel informing me about the problem and also reassuring me that the problem will be fixed soon. They estimate it will take a couple of days. Meanwhile, they will ensure that I can do my work. This means that I will have connectivity, but it's going to be slow. Well, I'm used to slow connections. As long as they work and the sun shines, I'm happy. Why sunshine in this heat? I have enough solar power to keep my laptop charged.

Nothing uneventful has happened since I last wrote. School is fine. The children are regular and eager. I'm enjoying teaching. Khagen and Suman are doing their work efficiently and quietly. Bhola too has started visiting the villages. But since they are putting earth on the roads in the area, he is going to the villages directly using another route and not via the project. So I don't get to see him much. Which is fine. He's available on the phone and comes here if needed. As I mentioned earlier, he's more use to the project by staying in Devdand than hanging around here.

But this morning he rushed to the project to take to the doctor in Godda. Of course I didn't go. Actually, this morning I nearly collapsed while teaching in class 2. I don't really know what happened, but suddenly my head started spinning and I had to come away and lie down. After a little rest when I went to teach class 3, the same thing happened again. I decided to take it easy. I informed Bhola to be ready to fetch a doctor if needed. But of course, he got very concerned and rushed to the project to take me to Godda to get a check up.

I didn't go because by the time Bhola got here I was feeling fine. I think it was my blood pressure. I think taking it easy will fix the problem -- whatever it is. Maybe it is the ida and pingala nadis trying to find a balance? Anyway, there's no need to panic. I should be fine. In fact, right now, I am feeling fine.

The weather has been strange too. We've had cloud cover for the past couple of days. But no rain. The temperature isn't very warm, but it's certainly very humid. Maybe that's why I'm feeling "ill"? I've never been very good at dealing with humidity. I remember that as a teenager I used to be perpetually "ill" in Kolkata despite doing weightlifting and being perfectly healthy! The humidity used to sap my energy completely.

I told the younger kids that they wouldn't be getting their uniforms this year. They seemed quite disappointed, but I think they also understood the logic behind my madness.

Well, that's all for today. I'm hurrying to upload this entry because I'm running out of battery. Also, it get's dark early these days and once that happens, the laptop attracts a lot of insects. Some of them have a mean bite!

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Can you get a blood pressure monitor on the project? A small, electronic unit should not be too expensive. Check your pulse when this lightheadedness happens, too, to ensure it's not a fast heart beat. Make sure you stay adequately hydrated and get your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc.) And when you have the lightheadedness, pay attention to whether you note any neuro deficits, like weakness in a limb, trouble speaking, etc. If so, you DO need to see a physician. Sincerely, Nurse Novak!

Siddharth Sanyal said...

Dear Nurse Novak, thank you for your concern and advice. I too feel it's BP related. But right now I can neither afford to go to Kolkata for a checkup, nor buy a gizmo. The project is really broke at the moment.

Perhaps at the end of year, I will take a break and also get a checkup.

But seriously... thanks for caring. I feel better already. God bless your kind heart.