Saturday, August 22, 2009

Home-Grown Teachers

I never thought that there'd come a day when I'd say: I hate clouds. But this year I really do hate clouds. They block out the sun. They trap the heat and they raise humidity to unbearable levels.

That's Raiman clowning around with some of the soft toys that Jayotsand Bedi sent from Bangalore for the school children. They were meant to be sorting out the toys for the younger children.... but decided to turn it into a foto-op!

I'm not talking about those beautiful fleecy clouds you and I watched floating in the sky making shapes that our imaginations would order. These clouds are a thick gray blanket stretching from horizon to horizon in every direction. And being under it is like sitting under a blanket on a summer's afternoon. So I hate these clouds. They block out the sun that would help me charge my batteries. They don't give us rain and they make life hot and humid and unbearable.

Bhola just left. He brought me a keyboard with a USB connector. I am now using a regular computer keyboard with the Intel CMPC. It makes typing easier. And it's not very expensive. It's amazing how reasonably priced computer peripherals have become. If the vendor is selling it this cheap in a small town, imagine what it must cost to manufacture! Anyway, I'm grateful that they are within reach and available even in a one-horse town like Godda.

Suman has gone home to drop his wife who had come for a visit this afternoon. He said he'd be back at 10:00 pm. I wonder if he actually will. But considering he asked Khagen to keep his dinner for him, I guess he does plan to be back.

And that's Kartik -- probably instructing Prahlad to focus the camera! Or maybe Prahlad is trying to get into the picture himself!

Now for some really important news: From Monday we will have yet another new routine. But the interesting development is that the Class 4 kids will now be assigned classes to teach on a regular basis like regular teachers. Khagen will teach English, Hindi and Maths in Nursery. The girls -- Radha, Anjana and Lalita -- are going to teach English, Science and Social Study to Class 1 and Kartik, Raiman and Prahlad will be teaching the same subjects to Class 2. Meanwhile, I will be teaching Class 3.

The Nursery kids leave after three periods and so Khagen will be free to teach Hindi and Maths to Classes 1, 2 and 3 after the break. I will, meanwhile teach Class 4. I discussed all this with the children before assembly today and made a formal announcement during assembly. In fact, there was a trial run and I checked to see it all was going well. The Class 4 children were both happy and confident and said they enjoyed teaching and said they were teaching the children the way I taught them. I noticed that! Their students were just as attentive and respectful towards them as they are towards any "regular" teacher.

Later, I had a chat with the new "teachers". They said that teaching is helping them to learn -- don't I know! They also said they now realize how much hard work it is to teach! I'm glad they realize this. I am sure they will also discover that it's a very rewarding experience too. Hopefully, when I'm gone, they will take over this place and keep the school going! I discussed this with them too and they all said yes. The girls said that even if they got married and had to move away, they'd open coaching classes and teach children in their new villages for at least an hour a day. Great! Am I now feeling elated!

The new keyboard that is going to making (has already made) "blogging" so much more convenient!

If all this really works out it will be wonderful. Instead of expecting outsider to develop and "attachment" to the school, it would be better if the children who studied here take over the place and continue to serve the community! I've got my fingers and toes crossed. Let's see.

The anti-mosquito spray that Bhola brought from Godda does not work! The mosquitoes are eating me alive! So it's time to end this blog and light up a trusted coil that does keep the mosquitoes away.

3 comments:

Sim said...

That is WONDERFUL!!!!!

I distinctly remember having a conversation with you while I was there about who would take over the school after your departure. I also remember asking about any of the class 4 children doing such a thing. You had your doubts. I hate to say I told you so, but... haha. Although, I had no idea that ALL of the class 4 children would begin teaching. I'm so happy for the project.

And just for the record I know this is a trial, and by no means are you handing over the school tomorrow or anything like that. But I'm still super-excited about this new development. Congrats, and job well done!

Siddharth Sanyal said...

Please go ahead and say you told me so! You probably put the idea in my head anyway. But there have been others like you, who had hoped the students would take over some day. And believe me, that's what I'd want very much. Unfortunately, in all these years, I have not seen any indication that this might happen!

Sunil, Kambe, Rajinder, Surinder, Rajin.... so many brilliant kids have studied in Dakshinayan's schools in Cheo, Paharpur, Barai... where are they?

Reality isn't always what we would like it to be. Right now, the class 4 children are happy teaching those "junior" to them. But bear in mind, this is a primary school. Some of them will move on to other schools and move up in life and move away. The girls are certainly going to move away once they get married.

Honestly, I doubt if there is going to be anyone to "take over" the project when I leave. If they don't, I'll be happy. If they don't, that's fate. I had a lot of hopes for Paharpur. Poured in all my resources to build the place. Then I had to leave it. And what I left behind could have been "taken over" by the local people. But they did not! If you have seen the place, I am glad you could not read the graffiti on the walls....

But let me not sound pessimistic. I have my fingers crossed. I hope the current enthusiam to teach will last and not wear out with time. I also hope they will continue to associate themselves with the school and the project. But I would be happy if they become better people and move up in life. Hopefully their vision for their community and the region is going to a lot bigger than my limited one.

Siddharth Sanyal said...

correction: "If they do I'll be happy. If they don't, that's fate."