Monday, August 24, 2009

Autumn Rain?

A new week, a new routine and it all went off well. The class 4 kids taught the three pre-break periods in classes classes 1 and 2 respectively. Then post-break, they were back to being students again. I asked them if they had any problems teaching. None at all. Were they tired? Yes! Do they now appreciate what the teachers do? Yes!

What's amazing is the overnight transformation from mischievous children to sober semi-adults! Suddenly, they are concerned about school property – the benches should not lie in the rain. Keep the place tidy. Put away your books. No more loud-voiced chatter during break. How did this happen? Will it last? I certainly hope so. I certainly pray so.

They are now operating as two groups – the girls and the boys. This was Bhola's idea. He felt that if the three boys or the three girls are together, they will feel less self-conscious and be more active teachers. Pair the girls off with the boys and they tend to keep quiet. True! Also, Bhola said, even if one of the boys or girls is absent, the other two are bound to manage. Whereas, if they are put together as duos and does not show up, the single child may feel intimidated while teaching. I agree. They are children, after all!

As usual I am preoccupied with net connectivity. I had no net connection all of yesterday – the prepaid connection via data card. But there was connectivity on the mobile because Airtel charges on the basis of kilobytes, hence they make more money that way. So finally, I manged to upload the blog entry via my phone. It cost me Rs 40! Whereas, had I uploaded it using the data card (which was not working), I wouldn't have had to pay anything. But since I've already paid for the unlimited service, Airtel does not care. They've got their money! Today, just as I was debating whether I should renew my data card service, it started working. So I had the account renewed. And now, of course, it is not working! Anyway, at least I've got some sort of service even if it's erratic. At least I don't have to drive to Godda to get online.

The weather is strange. Talk about it blowing hot and cold. That's precisely what's happening! At times it gets to be very hot and humid. Then it rains. And it becomes quite cold! Right now it is raining. It started pouring just a couple of minutes again – the 4th similar downpour of the day – and Bruni sitting next to me is shivering. I had to rush in and put on a t-shirt. I think I'll end the blog here and enjoy the rain. Autumn is knocking on my door. I can smell it!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Wow I just read the blog from the last couple of weeks - I can't believe that Class four are teaching the younger kids, thats great! I bet they are acting all grown up, I'm sure it will in turn teach them a great deal too. I also can't believe Suman almost got fired - when I was at the project his prospects looked so good. What happened?!

As someone else commented, it's sad that the villagers do not appreciate the many opportunities that you have offered them. Like you said it is easy for us to think we know what is best for people when we want to help them but who knows? At least you have tried to better their lives and it is true that the children certainly do appreciate your efforts and they love school. So you are doing a great job and I have so much respect for what you have done. I can't even imagine living in the middle of the sticks and dedicating my whole life to something, that is truely amazing! I can see how you need to vent your thoughts, otherwise it would send you a bit mad and the blog is a great way... I think I'm a bit of an optimistic pessimist too! Thats okay!

Although you have many people to look after, it is really important to make sure you look after yourself too.

Siddharth Sanyal said...

Thank you for your encouraging comments. I have done what I could do. But it is I who did it. Was it/ or is it what people want? One can often do the right thing at the wrong time! Planting a tree and caring for it till it grows is often more difficult than taking care of it once it's grown.

Things may not have worked out the way I wanted them to. And I am sure there are going to be many frustrations in the future too. But there have been some positive outcome to my stay here.

But you are right. I need to vent my anger, frustration, despair somewhere or else I'd certainly go mad! There's no one to talk to over here. At least no one who understands how I feel or even what I am trying to do!

Suman is here and working as usual. But I have to run a project and so have to take stern action when it is needed. What Suman did was unforgivable in my books. And had it been the first time, I may have just been angry. But since this has happened once too often, I guess I thought drastic steps needed to be taken.

You see, Renee, I LIVE here. And I need people like Suman, Bansi, Khagen, Bhola not only to survive, but also run this project. But if they are more of a hassle than help, there's no point in having such people around. Especially, when resources are limited. As individuals they are wonderful people. But as I keep saying, I have a project to run....

Thanks for writing. I am trying to make this blog interactive. That's why I am replying to your comment here. I hope you will come back to read my response!

Do find out for me... is it possible to have a sort of forum attached to a blog?