Thursday, April 1, 2010

One More No-Show

Looks like the Roldih kids won't have an English teacher this month either. Nicholas Hodder, who seemed absolutely positive about joining the project, called last night to say that he is joining another programme.

Nicolas and I had been corresponding for a long time and when he called yesterday morning he sounded quite sanguine about going to Jharkhand. Only problem was, he couldn't get a ticket to arrive before my departure for Tripura on the the 4th. I asked him to try and get a ticket on the "foreigner's quota" and when he called in the evening I thought he had managed to get one. But he said he couldn't and that he had decided to join another project.

As you can imagine, I am extremely disappointed. But I shouldn't be. I've had similar situations before too. People wanting to come. Confirming their participation. And then at the last moment, opting not to show up. On the positive side, I knowhe is not coming. There have been times when people don't show up and don't even bother to inform us.

I'm sad that the children are missing out on their English lessons. Ever since Joanna (Asha) left in February, we've had no one to teach them English. I've been away all of March and it doesn't seem that I will be able to visit the project in April either.

In a few days I am leaving for Tripura. I'll be there till the 11th and after I come back from there, I'll be going to Delhi to sort out Dakshinayan's accounts and also meet my daughter who is leaving for a tour of Europe on the 19th. I haven't seen her for years!

Meanwhile, the news from the project is that "aal izz well". School goes on. Yoga classes too. But there's no cash on the project. Someone had borrowed a huge chunk of money from me and I had hoped that he's repay by now and that would take care of the project's expenses. But he hasn't paid back as yet and so there's a cash crush. Well, this should be a learning lesson for those on the project. All these years, I've begged, borrowed and stolen to ensure that people got their honorariums on time and that there was no lack of money for what the project needed. Perhaps it's time for them also to realize that money doesn't grow on trees!

Ever since I left the project, expenses have gone haywire! There's more money being spent on petrol, food and other non-essential items. Perhaps the cash crunch will help people to be more frugal and circumspect about spending money. It's time to grow vegetables to cut down costs! For those who are alarmed, please don't worry, the provisions can come on credit and I will clear the bills whenever I have some money! No one will starve. Salaries can be paid later too.

Well, even though the scenario seems bleak at the moment, I am sure it's all going to work out eventually. I am not expecting many volunteers to come during the summer months. So we might as well accept the situation as it is and learn to relax!

No comments: