Monday, April 12, 2010

Back to Furnace Days

It was hot in Kolkata before I left for Agartala. It was hot in Agartala. It's hot here in Kolkata now that I am back. I wonder how I'm going to deal with the heat when I go to Delhi end of this week.

This heat wave is unprecedented. Kolkata rarely crosses the 40 degrees mark. This year it's already hovering above 40 and that too in April -- a month when it should be warming up and not getting hot. Wonder what will happen in May and June.

It's relatively cooler on the project at 36 degrees. But Bhola was already complaining about the heat when I called up this afternoon. School starts early and is over by 10 am. It's already quite hot by then, it seems. Everyone has lunch at 12 and then sit under the shade of the banyan tree -- including Bruni and her son Lalu. According to Bhola, all is well. The only problem they are having is the heat.

Yesterday there was a big fire in Devdand. The villagers managed to bring the fire under control before it spread. In fact, if the fire had spread to the next house whose owner stocks petrol and diesel, Bhola estimates that at least 15 houses would have been razed to the ground. Fortunately, that did not happen. The villagers managed to empty out most of the houses in the vicinity.

Well, that's all the news I have from the project at the moment. More news when I get some.

No comments: