Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Continuing Cold Wave

When the sun finally shone through at 10:30 yesterday, I was quite convinced that it was the end of the cold spell that we had been experiencing. But once it set, the icy winds took over and it became much colder than before. In fact, so cold that Bhola lost two cows last night and some people had to be rushed to Godda for treatment. Fortunately, all is well on the project and warm enough. Amie, Dani and Tak spend most of their time indoors when the sun is not out. They're ok. Shanku and Suman spend their time in the kitchen and so they are warm. Bhola seems warm enough and even though I spend most of the time on the veranda on the swing Dani and Tak brought me, I am warmly clad. Yesterday Bhola showed me how to tie a muffler like a helmet! It's great. Only my nose gets cold now.

Attendance was poor yesterday and I am not blaming the kids for not showing up in this weather. But their absence had more to do with the ongoing Sohari festival rather than the cold. In fact, most tribals are dancing around in this cold with hardly any warm clothes on! I guess the tons of Mahua that they drink keeps them warm. And even if they are cold they are too drunk to notice! But I think yesterday was the last day of festivities in this area. The drums are silent today. Perhaps attendance will improve.

Tomorrow is Saraswati Puja. Bhola is excited. But I am not looking forward to fasting till 10:00 and also having a bath in this weather. Maybe I will "cheat"! I'll simply sprinkle some Ganga Jal (Ganges water) on my head to purify myself in order to perform that Puja. Bhola, who is not a brahmin seems to believe a lot more in all this! Shanku and I ( both supposed to be brahmins) don't believe in fasting or bathing when it's cold! However, with Shanku one never knows -- he was probably agreeing with me just to please me!

Let's see what the weather gods do today. If this weather persists, we will change the school timings. We could move everything back by an hour and start school at 9:30 instead of 8:30. Wonder if that is be much help. It's cold throughout the day.

1 comment:

Sim said...

Hey Siddharth! I hadn't checked the blog in a while, but I'm glad to see it back up and running.

I'm glad you guys are finding ways to cope with the cold. I can still feel those cold nights in Jharkhand from last year. Actually, even in what is supposed to "Sunny California" we're experiencing some dreary weather. I just returned to Berkeley last week for the new semester, and until today it had been cold and raining since I arrived. Ouch! But I must say it has not been all bad. The off and on rain has turned into some of the most beautiful rainbows to my memory. I was sure to say a little blessing to thank God for those. haha.

Well, stay warm, and say hello to Dani and Tak for me.