Monday, January 18, 2010

Gray and Gloomy

Yet another gray and gloomy day. No sun for the third day. And icy winds continue to blow. I wonder when it's going to clear up. It's Basant Panchami day after. It's a day for rejoicing. But if such weather conditions prevail, we won't even be able to celebrate Saraswati Puja.

There's something seriously wrong with the thermometer we have on the veranda. On Saturday when it was showing 12 degrees, it was actually 6 degrees in Godda Town. Which means it must have been at least 4 degrees in Roldih. No wonder we were all freezing! I am sure the last two days have been colder still! My fingers are frozen!

We didn't expect too many children to show up. But they have all come to school. There are, of course, a few absentees. But that happens even on a normal day. So school is in progress at the moment. Today, instead of assembly (which is held indoors if the weather is bad), the Amie, Dani and Tak made them do some "warm up" exercises. It's an excellent idea.

Sunday was a lazy day as usual. Because of the lousy weather, no one engaged in the usual weekly chores -- clothes washing, bathing, etc. Everyone stayed indoors -- all because of the icy winds. The cold would be much more bearable without it. The wind chill factor is probably zero.

The cold got to me last evening. I feet felt like ice and I just couldn't keep my eyes open. So I decided to go to bed early and skipped dinner. I had eaten a lot of peanuts and so my stomach was full anyway. I'm glad I slept early because now I am feeling fine.

Shanku returned yesterday. He arrived in the afternoon and took over the kitchen duties almost immediately. Bhola had gone home Saturday evening and arrived in the evening after doing the marketing at Agiya Mor Haat.

The day is still young. But one look at the mist outside and one gives up any hope of seeing the sun today. It's really very depressing.

No sun, and hence no solar power. We haven't been able to recharge the batteries for the past three days. They are almost depleted. I hope we'll have light in the kitchen tonight. And of course we are unable to recharge our laptops. This is probably the last entry till the sun shines again. So if you are enjoying sunny weather, please ask the sun shed some of its rays here too!

No comments: