Sunday, January 17, 2010

Panchami Confusion

Apparently, the 5th day of Basant (Vasant) is actually the first day of spring! Confused? I am. But that's what I have been told -- Basant Panchami marks the start of spring. Makar Shankranti marks the sun's journey northward. But is the winter solstice supposed to mark that? Anyway, it doesn't matter. What really matters is that it's freezing cold today and it seems winter is here to stay a while longer.

It's misty and damp and clammy and cold. So we have a Sunday without the sun. The icy winds are blowing and the cold is really bone-chilling. When will we get some respite? What makes it worse is that it had started warming up on Makar Shankranti and then this cold wave simply descended out of nowhere and it looks as if it's here to stay.

I have enough warm clothes on. But my fingers are frozen. So I asked Bhola to get me some gloves. He said there are none available as they have all been sold out! People are buying up whatever warm clothes they can!

Yesterday the thermometer on the veranda showed 12 degrees. Today it is showing 11 degrees. So it's getting colder instead of getting warmer. Of course, one can't trust that thermometer as it showed 14 degrees when the newspapers reported that it was 8 degrees in Godda!

The volunteers stayed indoors yesterday. I don't blame them. Unfortunately my room is rather cold and so I found it more comfortable to sit out on the veranda. I was hoping to do some washing today. But I guess there's no chance of doing that in this weather. Looks like it's going to be a long and boring day.

No comments: