Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Brief Update

The well-diggers are pouring the concrete. The well is still 26feet deep. It took them two days to dig two feet. Surely the earth couldn't be that hard? No rocks. Just compacted sand. At this rate it will take another week for us to reach a depth of 30feet. Thank God we are paying per 2-feet layer. It's not our lookout how long it takes.

No village visit today. I see Bansi and Khagen at the tube well. They are getting ready to water the maize patch. They are growing nicely now that they are getting water regularly. The "okra" patch as been transplanted. Khagen did it last evening. Nilambar is probably supervising the well-digging operation. He'll join others soon. Sharad is packing. He leaves tomorrow in the morning. He won't have any time to pack later.

He, Bhola and I are going to Deoghar. We'll spend the night there and the following moring we'll see him off and get back to the project. Bhola and I decided to take a ride in the taxi so that we can get estimates for solar panels, generator sets and water pumps. We also need to buy a few things for school.

This evening we will watch a movie on my laptop -- "Tare Zameen Pe". It's a movie about a "special" child and his teacher(s). I hope the teachers here will find it inspirational. Bhola is in Chandana. He'll probably come late. He stayed overnight yesterday in order to ensure that waterpump owner would come and drain out the well before the diggers arrived. I wonder if he'll stay overnight tonight.

There have been more poetry submissions. But I just don't have the energy to type them out. Perhaps I will devote my next blog purely to poetry!

No comments: