Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kolkata Konnect

It's my fourth day in Kolkata. The first two were spent trying to set up base. There was nothing in the flat -- no food, no soap... not even salt! But I am lucky to have Shibaji as a neighbour. He made sure I did not lack for food. He fed me meat and fish (deliciously cooked by his wonderful wife Moushumi) and kept me company in the evenings.

I managed to get my net connection on Monday evening and I've been busy ever since catching up with mail and sending off the newsletter. Now I hope to sit down and send out a report on fund utilization to Planet Wheeler Foundation. This will take a while and so I don't think I'll be able to get back to the project before the weekend.

I've been in touch with Bansi and Yvonne. It seems all goes well with the school and the project. Yvonne and Bansi are taking care of Class I. Classes II and III are taking care of themselves!!!! The toilets are complete. Only the doors need to be put in place. The masons were doing some work on the boundary wall but since it's been raining, they've put a stop to work for the time being. They'll probably resume work once I get back.

I can't say I am unhappy to be in Kolkata. But my heart and my mind is on the project and I can't wait to go back. I am particularly curious to see how they react when I give them the kites that I bought here. Today is Vishwakarma Puja and it's also a day of flying kites in this city. But it's raining and so I don't suppose there will be many kites in the sky. Besides, Kolkata has changed a lot. I don't know if people fly kites with the same enthusiasm that we used to when we were kids. I don't see any kites up there at the moment.

Well, that's all for the moment. I was taking a break and so thought I'd just put something on the blog. If you have reached here to read this, it means you have read the newsletter too! I'll be hoping to hear from you.

No comments: