Friday, July 6, 2012

The brief break is over. The children have returned to their respective classrooms. I decided to use the  remaining battery on my laptop to write another blog. Tomorrow, this time I will be on a train headed towards Kolkata and then after a short wait, on another train going to Bolpur. My brief sojourn will be over. I don't know when I will be back. I am due to  leave for Delhi end of this month so I am hoping I will be able to make yet another motorcycle trip to the project before I leave. If the weather remains the way it is now, then that should not be a problem.

I has been raining every day since I arrived on the project. Bhola claims we brought the rain with us. I find the rain refreshing, but also rather inconvenient. The roof of my veranda leaks. So one is forced to stay in the room which gets rather stuffy. But rain is good for farming. And this year hopefully with Harish's (villager -- Parvati's father) help we will plant something. He came last evening and promised  to plough the field and plant some lentils, corn and vegetables. He will be entitled to half the produce. But that's ok with us. He will be doing most of the work, so I guess he deserves it. We only provide the land and the seeds.

Though I have been ill most of the time, I am glad I came. Even Shantiniketan does not have such wide open spaces and greenery. Now that I am feeling better, I am able to enjoy the overcast skies and cool breeze that is blowing. But I do wish I could also like the way the project is being  run.

Despite my presence here and the good weather, I have not seen anyone make any effort to visit the village. Those living here seem to be happy to wake up, eat breakfast, teach for a few hours, eat lunch, sleep, wake up and cook dinner and then eat and sleep. I dropped a few hints, but all I got were excuses -- it's too hot, we don't have umbrellas, etc. Yet, it's not too hot if they have to go to Dumka or for a drive. Sad. Very sad. I'm beyond caring. I'm just glad the school is regular. The kids seem happy and to me that's all that counts.


No comments: