Monday, September 13, 2010

Bolpur Continues to Boil!

Just outside Bolpur it was overcast, cool and dry
Bhola came to Bolpur on Saturday. Not in the afternoon as I had expected, but rather in the evening after sun-down. I asked him how his wife was and he said that the doctor wanted a few more tests, but the pathology labs would conduct the tests on Sunday morning. Anyway, he did bring over a few things for me -- a few clothes, some books (a couple of German ones too!), a small table, etc.

He also brought along his brother-in-law and another relative (who is from Siuri) who is also a "brother-in-law" of sorts. Both very young and in Dumka SP College. And obviously not used to city life. Which surprised me because Siuri is a bigger city than Bolpur and even Dumka is quite a "developed" city -- it has electricity and all that you need for "modern" living. Anyway, these two boys were quite "special" because when I gave them "anwla" boiled in sugar (called morabba) to eat, they asked me what four was used to make it! And when they found a seed inside, they wanted to know what fruit it was!

If a city kid had asked me this question, I could understand it. But boys who have lived in their village all their lives not knowing what an "anwla" is, is quite shocking! "Anwla" trees used to grow wild all over Santhal Pargana once upon a time and you can still find a few trees in the woods and forests. Most kids love to pluck and eat these sour, berry-like, green fruits which are rich in vitamin C and are used a lot in ayurvedic medicines. I was really amazed that they didn't know anything about this fruit. Especially as it is sold in every village "haat" (market). At first I thought they were pulling my leg! But Bhola, who was equally shocked, realized that they were not.

The road through the forest -- mysterious and deep
Anyway, I took everyone out for dinner. They came back home and slept and left early in the morning to get back to Siuri. I really didn't get a chance to interact much with these guys and also didn't get to speak to Bhola much. He was quite disappointed to hear that Eri would not be able to come. And now that he is dealing with project finances, was quite worried at the mounting debts! Thanks to the support of friends and past volunteers we are limping along. But the situation is not a very happy one.

 After they left, since I was up and ready and the sky was overcast, I decided to go to Ilam Bazar as I was told that it's a nice ride through the forest. Once I reached the outskirs of Bolpur, it started to drizzle and by the time I reached the forest, it started to rain heavily. Anyway, it was a nice ride even though I was drenched to the skin. I was so wet that I did not bother to get off my bike for a cup of tea in Ilam Bazar and rode right back to Bolpur in the pouring rain. But the forest is deep and mysterious and I'd like to explore it a bit on a sunny and cool winter's day. I believe there are a couple of restaurants next to the forest. I didn't see them. But I wasn't looking hard. Driving through the rain wearing spectacles is like driving in a car without wipers! I'm glad I took my helmet -- at least my hair was dry! Though I did not manage to do all that I had set out to do, it was nice to be out of the house.

The forest stretches deep on both sides
Oh, I forgot to mention that as soon as I reached the outskirts of Bolpur, I found no rain! Apparently, it hadn't rained at all in Bolpur! Strange!!!! It seems to be raining everywhere except Bolpur. I wonder why? I asked Sunil this morning if he had any explaination for this, and he said: There are too many intellectuals in Shantiniketan and Bolpur and they let out a lot of "hot air"! Very funny. But I tend to agree with him.

1 comment:

Rajeev Pareek said...

There is one restaurant in that forest area between Illambajar and Gopalnagar ( my college is there BITM). I forgot the name but I heard its very good and serves authenticate bengali food. I think one has to book in advance before going there. You can ask locals for more information.